Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read quite a while ago about a bag Chewy carriers that members highly recommended. I stated going through the 450 some threads and thought this would be easier to ask for help. I also looked and couldn't figure out how to insert a photo of Poppy by my users name or what size it needed to be.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I read quite a while ago about a bag Chewy carriers that members highly recommended. I stated going through the 450 some threads and thought this would be easier to ask for help. I also looked and couldn't figure out how to insert a photo of Poppy by my users name or what size it needed to be.
I use nappy sacks, but I'm thinking of making the switch to the new bags that are biodegradable, just to be a bit more environmentally friendly. I'm lucky in that there's a lot of open moorland and fields where I live, where it's easier to just flick it off the path and let nature take it's course.

If you scroll down when you are posting, you'll see a 'drag and drop file upload' box. Have explorer open in a smaller window to the side, pick which photo you want to add and just drag and drop it.

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
I also use decomposable nappy sacks. The only problem is, when you have a dog who does not go outside from one year's end to another, who suddenly gets taken short, and you go to use the bag you put in your pocket 3 years ago, only to find as you pick the poo up that the bag has started to decompose and you have a handful of poo!!! ;)

Here you are, £4.99 for 600. That's just 83p a hundred!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-300-Disposable-Nappy-Sack-Bin-Bags-ROSE-Fragranced-Handle-Scented-Perfumed/182092887748?epid=1189130634&hash=item2a6594f6c4:g:GYQAAOSwnGJWSbvc

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Trimoor and John W for replying to my thread. Trimoor the problem with getting Poppy's Pick on the forum is we don't have her picture online. All our pictures are on my computer. You both have very beautiful Labs. Ours is Fox Red is 16 months old and is still a bucket of energy. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
When you write a post, underneath you will see "Drag files here to attach!" You can use that. Simply click on the photo you want to use and drag it into that area and it will attach. As you drag it you will see the border turn green. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JohnW. I tried what you said and it works. Poppy's snow is almost gone. Everyone has such beautiful Labs here. I wish Poppy would out grow the jumping up and thinking she has to lick everything and us.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
She's still a puppy. She'll grow up soon enough, then she will be growing old too soon. My Amy is now fast approaching 15 years old, and I wish she was still a puppy. Chloe my other will be 5 in January. The years are racing by.

Chloe out working last February, and again working two weeks ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JohnW
What was Chloe doing? Yes it is very sad when our fur kids get up there in age. We lost one a 2 years ago. How much snow do you average during you winter? We live in central and almost into MN in Wisconsin,US and our past month temps have been very cold ( 1F for a low and 17F for a high) and snow which isn't not normal. Poppy spends winters in Florida so she is really enjoyed her first time ever in her life seeing and playing in the snow. I love the big open area where Chloe was sitting. Amy & Chloe must alao have a open area where they live. That is cool. Poppy's color charges depending on the light she is in. She isn't going to grow up to be a big English lab. She weighs 57 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi, I use wilko's own. Wine coloured and roll of 50, for £1. I find them very thick, especially for the price

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
Fourcorners. My dogs pick up on a driven shoot. In both photos she it watching the guns lined up in front. This was her as a baby learning her trade with Amy.

I'm in the south of the UK, and normally we dont get much snow down here. Maybe two or three days average during the winter, which or course is part of the problem. It's not worth the council spending money on snow clearing equipment so when it does snow it tends to bring things to a standstill. I live on top of a hill so the roads get blocked. But it never stays around for long.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JohnW. Thanks so very much for explaining the lining up by the guns. Thanks so very much for sharing the video. I've watched it 4 times already and am sure that number will increase. You fur kids are so trained.
Poppy is very scared of other dogs. We took her to a dog park in Florida last winter when she was 6 months old. A dog park is where dogs don't have to be on a leach and they can run free. A Dingo ( breed of a dog) body slamed Poppy and when she did Poppy ended up against a fence whimpering. Before we could leave the dog did it again. Our daughter has a 4 year old Choc Lab and we've tried to get them to play or even just snif each other but Poppy just hides under their patio chairs. I don't know if Poppy will ever get over that. I do understand areas not investing in snow removeal equipment for the few snow storms you get. The state of Georgia is like that. It becomes gride lock for driving when it snows. The only plows they have are at the airport. It must be very beautiful living on a hilltop but yes bad on days that it snows. We live with woods all around our lawn (grassy area that we mow). We have 23 acres of land if you know what acres are. Our lawn has 105 trees we have to mow around. Because we're aurrounded by trees we don't see the highway we're one. It's ike we live in our own little world here.

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
That's a nice size piece of land. Plenty of room for the dogs!

Amy was very good in her day, but at nearly 15 years old her day was a long time ago. This was her out training about 5 years ago. Even then she was starting to slow. She was fox red when younger so you can see how grey she is. The second is Chloe retrieving over the brook. She was 3 years old at that time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JohnW
Oh my the three card trick was so amazing and jumping over water. For sure you have spent hours training Amy and Chloe. Yes I can see the FoxRed color on Amy. Poppy will never be that trained. Do they hunt for real living birds?
Today is packing day for Florida. It is so cold out (28F) so packing hubby's truck in our garage we'll be freezing. We drive to Florida. It's a 1400 miles trip. We spend two nights in Motels on the way down to Florida and when we come home we only spend one night but that means we put on 1100 miles that day. Last year going down was a nightmare. Poppy was 4 months old and she whined alot in the motel. We thought we were going to be asked to leave. This year should be better. For sure you have two fur kids to be very proud of.

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
Do they hunt for real living birds?
Yes, but our hunting is rather different to whats normal in America. Mine is a driven shoot, where beaters are employed to drive the birds in the direction of the guns, who are spread out in a line. We have 10 guns shooting. We have three people with dogs, called Pickers Up, Jac, Keith and myself, who stand well back behind the guns, sending our dogs to retrieve any shot birds.

Shooting in the UK is very traditional. The guns leader is the Shoot Captain. The beaters are led by the Gamekeeper, who is also responsible for the birds and everything to do with the land. I assist the Gamekeeper during the year, most of which is conservation work, and also look after the pickers up, positioning them where they are likely to be needed, which can vary according to the weather.

·
Administrator
20,490 Posts
I find it hard to envisage anything the size of America. For 1400 miles I could drive from the north of Scotland all the way to the south of France! There is nowhere in England more than 70 miles from the coast. I live in the middle of the country and can leave home at 6am, be at the sea by 9am, spend the day on a boat sea fishing in the English Channel, moor up at 7pm and be home by 10pm. (Or I could in my younger days!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts