Labradors Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what can I say..

Molly, for those of you who don't know is a Labrador x Wolfhound, I suppose you would call her a lurcher, but she is built like a Labrador and looks like a Wolfie.

And wow can she bring them pesky rabbits down, and not only that she retrieves them and brings them back to hand, as far as I know she has never been trained to do this, its pure instinct, we had 2 on this evening's walk.

Question is, what do i do with the Rabbits once they are dead? 8O

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Rabbit is delicious.
For those of you as old as I, Molly looks like Sprocket off that program Fraggle Rock!
Sherry

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and she can jump 6ft fences with ease we discovered a few minutes ago when we went to see a neighbour and she suddenly appeared at our feet 8O

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
;-)

Nat you could have the perfect dog there.... it cleanly and quickly kills and then retrieves to hand! Superb! Even the antis can't complain about that! Now if she could just cook it and uncork the wine you'd have a million dollar dog there everyone would want to clone!

;-)

Slightly (but only a bit) more seriously, channelling her talents..... Well possibly NOT on a shoot or in gundog circles. Might be a bit alarming for her to be sent on a runner and keep returning with them dead as doornails ;-)

Di

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Diana said:
;-)

Nat you could have the perfect dog there.... it cleanly and quickly kills and then retrieves to hand! Superb! Even the antis can't complain about that! Now if she could just cook it and uncork the wine you'd have a million dollar dog there everyone would want to clone!

;-)

Slightly (but only a bit) more seriously, channelling her talents..... Well possibly NOT on a shoot or in gundog circles. Might be a bit alarming for her to be sent on a runner and keep returning with them dead as doornails ;-)

Di
:lol: Hmm, given half the chance she'd be at the wine too :lol:

No I don't imagine her going down well at the local shoot... :lol: I can imagine their faces..although it'd be worth it just for that :lol:

Although what a challenge though eh?

She does kill cleanly, I was amazed though that she recalled immediately and brought it straight back, asked her to drop, and she placed it nicely in my hand...most sighthounds like to play with their kills and can be a b*gger to get hold of.

Who says a Lab x can't be good retievers eh? :wink:

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Di
I hate having to kill the runners, I am useless at the job, if I use a priest I wack myself, other method ends up with a head in my hand. Although I would be horrified if dog flattened them, sometimes I rather wish they would do the job for me!
Someone I know (who is a nit anyway) goes on about pulling some feather and sticking it in a hole at the base of the scull. (A) no time to faff about and (B) wouldnt be able to see anyway.
Sherry

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
" I hate having to kill the runners, I am useless at the job, if I use a priest I wack myself, other method ends up with a head in my hand. Although I would be horrified if dog flattened them, sometimes I rather wish they would do the job for me! "

Oh Sherry, if 8000 members weren't watching I would of course freely admit that for me too, it is the worst part of the job, and I, at every single possible opportunity, hand the live bird to the gun to despatch what he shot, rather than me do it.

But of course with 8000 people watching, I'd NEVER say that in public ;-)

Di

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Diana said:

Di
What would be wrong in Molly returning a runner dead?, surely it has to be killed anyway once its handed over?

G

·
And wow can she bring them pesky rabbits down, and not only that she retrieves them and brings them back to hand, as far as I know she has never been trained to do this, its pure instinct,
Now THAT does sound like my Tara. Never had to train her, she just knew what to do. The only difference being, she had a very soft mouth and never killed anything, except a rat once and that was only after it bit through her nose. That of course left us with the dispatching part but it also meant we could release any baby buns :D .

The leaping of a 6ft wall sounds like Tara too :lol: .

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Sherry I was only kidding ;-) I think, speaking to MOST active gundog ladies the worst part IS the despatching, however good they are at it, so you and me are in no way, alone!

Mary - your comment makes perfect sense, but its just not the done thing for a gundog to take it upon itself to 'see off' something still alive before returning it to the handler. they are meant to have a 'soft mouth' and therefore they retrieve and WE have to do what needs doing, not them ;-)

Di

·
Administrator
21,513 Posts
I dont think many of us picking up enjoy that part, but it has to be done.

Dont loose them Nat, as long as they are not mixy they taste wonderful in a stew. The countryside's rich bounty. :)

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Also, when dogs do the job themselves, they tend to flatten the bird, not good for the table!
I can remember old Breeze bringing me a very much alive Guinea fowl that had been just pinged. It had its nasty horrible beak fastened to her ear, then it wanted to kill me. Thank goodness there was a man nearby - they have their uses after all!
sherry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts