Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
Wolfie, poodle or fox terrier for me so im a happy bunny.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree about the gundog group winner. In my opinion it should look like it could spend a day out shooting, not all fancy like that spaniel!
I liked the flat coat myself.

Chloe

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
Hmm where do I start? I didn't like the American Cocker that won the gundog group. Does anyone else think their heads look far too small for their bodies? As for the final, I don't like the show trims they give Poodles, I think they end up looking like something that should be hanging from a stick at a fairground :roll: I'd have much preferred the Wolfhound or Fox Terrier.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am not a fan of poodles but the standard one that got B.I.S. looked in great physical condition and well turned out....if you like that sort of thing. Bright and alert in the ring and very chilled in the studio on day it got group win.

As for gundogs I liked the flatcoat as well as the irish setter.

Sorry but the lab that won group last year that was b.i.b. this year personally not to my particular liking - in fairness that may be something to do with my thoughts on some recent show lines.

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
I thought that lab looked better this year than last year when he got reserve BIS. He's maturing well. He'd get a place on my sofa any day, as would the poodle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Speaking of last year's Lab, Loch Mor Romeo, I really didn't like it as a lab because it seems really thick, closer to a Rottweiler than, say, a Pointer or a Setter. It looked thicker even than a Golden Retriever, which has a lot of extra coat. My girlfriend was browsing through last year's results and she pretty much fell in love with Diana's Fish, that got second place last year in the Field Trial class (it was pretty funny, she gave me the link to Wylanbriar Labradors and I was thinking "hmmm, Wylanbriar, I know that name from somewhere").

As for this year's BIS, I pretty much hate the way a show poodle looks like, but he did seem very alert and really healthy and I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Wolfhound was robbed... Personally not keen on dogs that have been groomed to such an extent. The wolfhound was a mighty fine man :)

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Having a very large soft spot for Wolfhounds as I do I was really hoping he would win and was really disappointed with the result, yes the Poodle looked pretty, but that cut is just down right awful!!!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
We have an 8 month old American Cocker pup - he is my daughter's little dog who she is training in obedience and he is also going to be her agility dog. Infact they are already doing their puppy foundation agility classes.

Whilst I agree that the Am.Cocker appears in the ring with far too much coat to work, they are seriously bright little gundogs who love to work if given the opportunity and are actually very cool (never thought I'd say this before owning one!!!) . Rupert picks up everything very quickly and is a delight for my daughter to work with. He is without doubt more intelligent than my Labs and they're not dim by any means :lol: When out on a walk, his nose is straight down in true spaniel style!

But my favourites are the German Pointers....true dual purpose gundogs :D

?

·
0 Posts
Hated the clip (as always) but loved the Poodle. Beautiful chiselled face and happy, intelligent expression, fantastic conformation and movement to absolutely die for, so as far as I was concerned a worthy winner. I can't wait until the old style judges are replaced with ones who will happily put up dogs in a less dramatic clip though. I guess I've got a while to wait for that to happen though.

That said, the ACS although not normally my cup of tea, showed and moved like a dream too, regardless of whether they should or shouldn't be in the Gundog group. I would have liked to have seen this one get Reserve.

Colin the Pom was my favourite, but I do just really like that breed, so I'm biased. Such spunky characters.

The WHFT was stunning and looked like he thought he deserved to win. Bless him and his gutsty confidence.

The Sammy was gorgeous and moved well too, although yet again not a breed I would normally look twice at.

The IWH looked a bit tired to me and also, dare I say it, a little plump 8O . I'm sure he was a lovely boy though. At least he moved better than many I've seen, who tend to drag their back end along, rather than PUSH.

And the Rottie sadly crabbed around the ring. Whether that was due to the dog's conformation or the handler's handling, I don't know, but I would imagine it cost him dearly.

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
The IWH moved much better in the group.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I thought the poodle needed a pair of pants to cover up his behind! I hated the clipping. I'd far rather see him in his normal 'clothes' instead of his show outfit.
Out of all the dogs in the final line up I wanted the wolfhound.
I would have liked to have seen the curly coated retriever in the final too. Or the spanish water dog.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts