Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help would be much appreciated as what to feed my lab
as most of you know he is very under weight rescued and the vet said to keep him on chappie food as thats what he was having at the dogs home (was he i no idea ) because he will eat a few mouthfulls and walk away ,

i know he cant go on any of the rich dog foods as they just dont agree with him ,but my main question is as the vet said feed him pasta boiled is that really a good diet to help him gain weight ,i know we all think in differently ways and swear by different foods but peoples thoughts would be good and much appreciated ,
ty in advance

?

·
0 Posts
Carbs do tend to help put on weight, but I'd probably go with potato rather than pasta, as pasta is made of wheat and wheat isn't that well tolerated by dogs with sensitive tums.

Keeping him on Chappie for a while isn't a bad idea, but I personally wouldn't want a dog on it permanently; not unless there was nothing else that agreed with them.

There are plenty of foods which are made for sensitive tums these days, so you might find one he'll be ok on after a bit of trial and error. I'd start with something made of fish and potato, as they seem to be well tolerated. If you have a Pets at Home near you, you could try their Wainwrights Salmon and Potato, or Wafcol Salmon and Potato, or Fishmongers do a white fish or a salmon and potato variety. There are a few others around like that too and they are very palatable. Even my fussy Twoee eats these. 8)

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I'd spread his food out over 3-4 meals a day rather than two and maybe looking at adding a bit of oil if he will tolerate that (tummy wise). When we adopted our first oldie, she had come from a stray kennels sort of situation too and wasn't in great shape so I split her meals up like that and gave her some olive oil on one meal a day. She wasn't desperately thin, but I did want her to gain some weight and she did.

I feed mine Naturediet, which is a moist food and 60+% meat based. I have put most of my dogs straight onto it (all of them since I started buying it years ago), from rescue pups through to oldies and never had any tummy problems :)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I do sympathise when I hear the new rescued boy/girl is looking a tad skinny or worse.

To be honest if it was me with what I have gleaned from having Bruno [ex stud rescue] I would take everything really slowly, if Buddy/Jack2 is eating the Chappie [tinned is what I use when my lot are under the weather] then I would stay with that for the time being.

If you feel he is not interested in it [as in wolfing his meals down as soon as they are put down] then of course try something else like boiled chicken and rice for a while, but be careful not to get him used to a food you cannot afford, maybe look at Wainrights Salmon and Potato, [ I have gone between it and Barking Heads Salmon and Potato, which is slightly dearer but definately better :) ].

Good Luck with JACK 2 I hope he soon settles down and starts to gain weight, just don't try to be in a hurry it will come good in the end :)

June

To be honest Bruno will eat anything he is given, plus anything he can scavenge but he never puts weight on, he looks loads better than when he came 3 years ago but still not got much padding on his ribs :( .

I also find trying to feed more than his body can absorb does cause loose stools and no weight gain, so waste of money, it is best to just find the best food for the dog then adjust the amounts to suit until you have a good feeding routine.

June

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I fed Tucker very over-cooked pasta when he was recovering from a bad tummy bug which caused him to loose kilos that he didn't have over the period of a few days. It worked better than rice for him, I did give him mashed potato and scrambled egg as well as boiled chicken and white fish.

He eats Skinners Salmon and Rice usually and I began to introduce this back into his diet after a few days on the 'non-dog-food' diet. The vet said this was a good food for sensitive recovering tums.

Most food manufacturers would be happy to post you out samples of their food to trial - I got some when I emailed to ask.

I hope he is settling in ok and you find the right food to suit him. x

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ty to you all i do appreciate this very much
i have used pets at home wainwrights before very good food indeed i think i may well try that and see how we go :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
When we got Cooper and he had a lot of tummy troubles I tried him on Wainwrights and within a couple of days there was a great improvement and he started to put on weight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts