Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First of all what a wonderful site this is. I could have really done with this help 6 months ago!

Anyway, Bertie, my 1 year old black lab developed a seriously chapped and cracked nose :( around 3 months ago. We have been to the vet twice who suggested E45 amongst other creams to rub in. Unfortunately nothing seems to be working and I'm gettting a tad concerned now.

Has anyone on here encountered this sort of problem with their lab and if so what did you do to rectify this ailment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, I can recommend Vaseline for a cracked nose. Apply it four or five times a day, it doesn't sting at all and it doesn't get licked off as easily as E45! Give it a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Vaseline was the first thing we tried for about a fortnight but it hardly made a difference which is why we went to the vet. Even the vets ideas haven't worked out and although it's not causing him major pain I'm sure it must be sore for him.

Any other ideas!? :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to hear Vaseline was no good for Bertie. I can't think of anything else that might help except that he may be living in a too dry atmosphere in the house. Does he sleep too close to a fire perhaps or is the central heating too warm for him. Good luck anyway finding a solution - it must be very sore.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
There's a half-page article about a 21-month old black lab bitch who's suffering with a cracked nose in this month's (March) Your Dog magazine, I bought a copy today and saw it in there and remembered this forum topic.

If you want me to scan it and email it to you, send me a PM with your email address and I'll sort this for you. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts