Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. My 10 month old lab, Bella, has suddenly gone off her food (we feed her dried food, and soak it first). She used to demolish it! But she has hardly eaten any of it during the past few days. She does get treats throughout the day and now and again will take some of our food! What might be the best tactic to overcome this problem, and when should I start to become worried? I'm thinking of just perservering, and laying off the treats/ stop her from taking any of our food! p.s. She did have her first season around a month or so ago, so not sure if this is of relevance.

·
Premium Member
8,931 Posts
Yes the date of the season is relevant. She could be heading to a phantom pregnancy or pyometra. Phantom pregnancy symptoms vary as does pyometra. I think I might be asking my vet for advice (but I’m paranoid as I’ve had three bitches with pyo so my vet understands my concerns).

Reactions: Tarimoor and JohnW

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Yes the date of the season is relevant. She could be heading to a phantom pregnancy or pyometra. Phantom pregnancy symptoms vary as does pyometra. I think I might be asking my vet for advice (but I’m paranoid as I’ve had three bitches with pyo so my vet understands my concerns).
Crikey, that must be at the higher end of 'normal' as far as cases of pyo go, not had one with any of my girls, counting my lucky stars. But yep, I'd still be cautious although I've never had any of mine go off their food, so it would definitely make me worry.

·
Premium Member
3,180 Posts
Juice came into season at 7 months, no eating problems, but I kept her in for 4 weeks as we live in a dog popular area. When I then took her out I felt "uncomfortable" about other male dogs and her "flirty" reaction. 4 weeks later her nipples were swollen and I thought phantom or pyometra, booked an emergency appointment at the vet and before we went her "lady bit" (vagina) was suddenly massive and she was bleeding again. We had meds to stop the season and I had to keep our vet updated until she was "normal" again, she was a very poorly little girly. She was spayed at 11 months, our vet didn't want to see her go thro' the problem again.
It was only reading LF that I saw a thread that JohnW had written on about a "split season" and it all made sense, this was what she had - - Thanks John xx

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

Reactions: JohnW

·
Premium Member
8,931 Posts
Crikey, that must be at the higher end of 'normal' as far as cases of pyo go, not had one with any of my girls, counting my lucky stars. But yep, I'd still be cautious although I've never had any of mine go off their food, so it would definitely make me worry.
Tell me! 🤣🤣 Coco always had phantoms and hubby found she had closed pyo while I was in hospital and she had surgery without him telling me until I got home. Betty had closed pyo aged 10 or 11, zero symptoms apart from an upset tummy, she even had clear bloods and was already on antibiotics. Vet did an ultrasound because our consultant dermatologist suggested that her skin problems could be hormone related (they weren’t) and discovered the worst pyo he’d ever seen. That was emergency surgery and kept n overnight. Carys looked like she was in discomfort, vet initially thought the pain was skeletal then, after I insisted, he did an ultrasound and discovered a mild uterine infection which turned to open pyo on the morning of her spay surgery. Open pyo is just awful. She also had a horrendous reaction to tramadol.

Now if I have a bitch with non specific symptoms and within a certain timescale of a season, I ask my vet to scan. It takes minutes and costs next to nothing. Better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Tell me! 🤣🤣 Coco always had phantoms and hubby found she had closed pyo while I was in hospital and she had surgery without him telling me until I got home. Betty had closed pyo aged 10 or 11, zero symptoms apart from an upset tummy, she even had clear bloods and was already on antibiotics. Vet did an ultrasound because our consultant dermatologist suggested that her skin problems could be hormone related (they weren’t) and discovered the worst pyo he’d ever seen. That was emergency surgery and kept n overnight. Carys looked like she was in discomfort, vet initially thought the pain was skeletal then, after I insisted, he did an ultrasound and discovered a mild uterine infection which turned to open pyo on the morning of her spay surgery. Open pyo is just awful. She also had a horrendous reaction to tramadol.

Now if I have a bitch with non specific symptoms and within a certain timescale of a season, I ask my vet to scan. It takes minutes and costs next to nothing. Better safe than sorry.
Thankfully I've only got the one entire girl, although she's a b*gga with seasons, takes after her mum in that respect, 18 months old and had the one so far, only time will tell when she has another, but she's a very slow to mature girl so I'm not that worried. She's certainly never off her food, lol!

·
Administrator
21,138 Posts
Chloe on the other hand always went off her food, and everything else for that matter. Seasons really affected her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts