Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and Lilly has been a major part of the decisions. Right now I'm lucky that I am a carer for my grandmother and Lilly comes with me to her house if I'm out longer than 2 hours. Unless of course we have a hospital run, in which case she stays at home. However should anything happen to my grandmother (god forbid) I wouldn't have a job to go back to, as such I've been looking at setting up my own business, as the job market where I live is running at 0, plus with my learning difficulties I'm not exactly top of the pile for potential employee.

I have my own DSLR and have always been interested in photography of all kinds, so I was thinking about trying my hand at that. I've been doing my research into self employment and taxes, NI contributions and if I'm honest my head is spinning. Currently I have a trial account (3months) with a company that allows me to host all my photographs and sell prints and downloads, so I'm testing the water a little.

I know that this isn't going to make me mountains of money but it might just help me support myself when the inevitable happens. By being self employed I could work around Lilly and make sure she isn't alone for too long, so it has it's benefits. I'm just so confused about the tax and NI contributions etc, and it doesn't help that my learning difficulty affects my ability to work with and understand numerical data :( I think I may need to try and speak to someone about it all.

Stressed out and confused right now and needed to rant a little.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The whole tax/NI contributions thing isn't quite as complicated as it seems. Most of it can be done online nowadays and there are documents you can read and a helpline you can ring if you need to. You can also get someone (accountant etc.) to file the return on your behalf, although it might be costly when you are starting out. You could always ask a friend to look over the numbers you have entered before you finally submit your return to HMRC.

I don't know if you have read anything on the HMRC website, but this page is a good starting point:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/intro/selfemployed.htm

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts