Labradors Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walked up day yesterday, beating today.

Different part of the Pennines, and different dogs. Took a few "scenic" pics, for those of you not familiar with the beauty of the moors, we are blessed with around here.

Todays crew, Jamie, Missy, and Spike.

Not the best pictures I've taken of Spike, but I love the look in his eye on the first one, and the sheer exuberance of the second one, do you think he is happy in his work? :wink:

Dogs of all persuasions welcome, even strangely coloured Labs :lol: :lol:

Now the boring stuff 8O 8O

We are surrounded by other Grouse moors, the first one is Woodhead, the second Snailsden. Both owned by an Italian gentleman, Snailsden shot 200 + brace on Thursday, Woodhead shot yesterday, but don't know the bag yet.

When the line gets to the top of the moor, the views are spectacular, the power station you can see is at Ferrybridge, a good 40 miles away. On a clear day, it is said you can see York Minster, the top of The Humber Bridge, and Lincoln Cathedral. It is also said that if you went in a straight line from here, the next landfall would be in Russia, makes perfect sense after a couple of pints of Landlord :wink: :wink:

The Line

Made it Ma, Top of The World

Just let me know when you are getting bored with pictures from the hill hill.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Can never get bored of the pics, don't think I am out at the grouse this season, first time in a few seasons, so I am really enjoying the tales and the pics keep em coming , though I am getting v v jealous

Nic

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I believe 3 dogs there are happy to be back working,
& as always amazing pictures not only of the dogs but also the scenary, your a very lucky lad

Harriet

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Not bored yet!!!

Gorgeous dogs and scenery! You are lucky!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Its like Judith Charmers (wish you were here)

Fantastic pics.

No grouse days here this year, the pointers were on and only counted 20pairs on the estate.

keep the updates comming Andrew.

Got the right post this time.

Steve

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Great pics Andrew, the dogs all look very happy to be out and about again and the scenery is beautiful :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Beating

Hi Andrew

Always love your photos, you capture the moment so well and must have a massive library of great photos of the dogs working, what lens do you use for the retrieving photos?

How are the grouse prospects down there this year? Has there been a crash following last years bumper year? This year is looking very good up here in the north of scotland, most estates I know are driving which is a stark contrast to last year, I'm kicking myself that I didn't save more annual leave, have 2 weeks of picking up I could do but am only going to manage 7 days. I'll post some pics if I manage to get any, reckon our views are more dramatic :lol: only joking if you fancy a trip to bonny scotland, could sort you out a couple of days picking up if you can manage the terrain ha ha

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
monkeyboy said:
Just let me know when you are getting bored with pictures from the hill hill.

Andrew
Interesting question.

From my point of view, us shooting types, down south, love to see the season kick off. Extra weight to carry on the moor is a big deal and we appreciate it. I’m sure you are taking the pics for yourself, but it takes time to post them on here. Your photos are excellent and they give us a flavour of what it is like on the moor. :D

What’s more, I know a lot of pet Lab owners are fascinated by what their working cousins get up to!! :D :D

Thanks for the effort Andrew.

John

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Beating

Rothievale said:
Hi Andrew

Always love your photos, you capture the moment so well and must have a massive library of great photos of the dogs working, what lens do you use for the retrieving photos?

How are the grouse prospects down there this year? Has there been a crash following last years bumper year? This year is looking very good up here in the north of scotland, most estates I know are driving which is a stark contrast to last year, I'm kicking myself that I didn't save more annual leave, have 2 weeks of picking up I could do but am only going to manage 7 days. I'll post some pics if I manage to get any, reckon our views are more dramatic :lol: only joking if you fancy a trip to bonny scotland, could sort you out a couple of days picking up if you can manage the terrain ha ha

Hi Helen,

I use a Sigma 75-300, pretty much all the time, it did n't cost a fortune, does what I need it to, and as my kit gets knocked around a bit, it would n't be the end of the world if it got damaged.

As for the Grouse prospects, down here in the South Pennines, it's looking very good, the big moors have got lot's of birds, and are expecting a very good season.

As Steve has indicated, it's not looking very good in parts of the North Pennines, and the North East, but some moors are reporting decent numbers, North Yorkshire is the same as well. The moor I work on in Co Durham has cancelled the first three days.

Love to see some pics from your outings. Don't be fooled by the pictures from this moor, we've got some pretty serious terrain down here as well :wink: :wink: :wink:

Andrew

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lovely pictures Andrew,

Im so jealous that you get to beat on our lovely moors, i would give my right arm to be in you shoes and walk miles in wind, rain and the cold (and thats even before the start of the drive). Im starting to wish August away and preparing the old stick for September. :D

200 bag too 8O wow! Bumper day for the Grouse.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
loving the cocker fix and what amazing views! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts