Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old fox red (yellow) lab and we have only bathed her a couple of times because it seems like such an ordeal for her. She stands shaking and whining. I don’t know what to do, we only bathed her to try and get her used to it, not because she actually smelled. I suppose my question is is bathing necessary? How often should we be bathing her if so? And any tips to stop making it such an ordeal?

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
The only time I have bathed any of my Labs was when they were exceptionally mucky (wading in a drainage ditch) or found something really smelly to roll in. :rolleyes:
They weren't done in the bath but outside under the garden hose.
Other than that they get a good rub down when coming in from a wet day or when they had been swimming.

There is no 'bath time' for them.

:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there isn’t really much of a ‘health’ benefit; ie good for their fur? Because if not I might not bother as it’s such a trauma. And then the fight to dry her off afterwards as she hates me and just wants to run away 😅

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
So there isn’t really much of a ‘health’ benefit;
None. Bathing washes the natural protective oils out of the coat. The result of that it, 1/ Without the oil the coat licks up dirt all the quicker. And 2/ The body goes into overdrive trying to replace the oil, making the coat excessively oily and increasing the "doggy" smell. If mine get muddy after a day working in this I give them a retrieve across the brook to wash the mud out of their coat. (Water without shampoo will flush the mud out without removing the natural oils.)

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your dog looks very happy! In and around the dirt!
I’m really not going to bother then and if she gets mucky out on walks or ball throwing in just going to hose her down. It was hard work

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
A gentle hose down not a power wash :cheesygrin:

Another thing I do at this time of year (but shouldn't really) is let them run through the cereal crops after a good rain, it doesn't harm the crops and they get a good soak.

But whatever method, as John says, no shampoo.

:D

·
Premium Member
8,763 Posts
I’m not an advocate of bathing but...trying to bath a dog for medical reasons (a skin condition for example) becomes a total nightmare if the dog isn’t used to it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So don’t bathe, and if I choose too certainly do use shampoo. Just water with a hose. But if she ever has to be bathed essentially I’m going to be in a world of pain??
Ah the fun of owning a Labrador. I thought she was going to be okay with being bathed as labradors naturally seem to like water. As your pictures show (she looks so happy) so couldn’t understand why she wouldn’t like the bath

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
A hot day, a bucket of plain water on the lawn, a good cool off. Just put a lead on and she has no choice in the matter. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that is definitely the way forward as the 2 times I have tried it’s been a battle. Will just go down the old fashioned route instead!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts