Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to put this, so i thought general chat would be best.
Yasmin hates having a bath! She isn't naughty when it's bath time, she just freezes and shakes in fear.
I have wondered that this might be because of a past experience as a puppy, but i'm not sure as we didn't get her till she was 12 months old!

Our bath is quite high.. a little higher than a standard bath, by about an inch. We have to pick her up and put her in because she wont jump in herself and i feel this may add to her fears.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to relax her while bathing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think it's from a past experience as my dog shows exactly the same behaviour as Yasmin in the bath and we've had him from very young. Murphy loves ANY type of water outdoors but hates having a bath. I find this a really strange thing with him because he has developed irrational fears of things (ie. vaccum cleaner/ironing board/bath) that despite all the times I have tried to show him it's OK he will not accept! On the other hand, some things which he hated at first (like having his eyes, ears, teeth, paws etc closely checked daily) he now accepts and enjoys. I guess it's the difference between a built in fear they will never overcome and a plain dislike they will eventually overcome. I think for Murphy bath is the former. As soon as he is out of the bath he is right as rain again so I don't worry too much about him not enjoying the experience. Because he is so easy to keep clean I don't have to bath him often so he doesn't have a bath enough for it to be an everyday occurance to just take in his stride. I cant think how you make them relax to it. Murphy wont eat treats in the bath and I wouldn't want to make it too much of a playtime as he'd destroy the bathroom!

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi everyone i bath my three labs outside in the summer i have two childrens blue sand pits shaped like shells i fill them up with warm water that takes me about half hour after the girls have drowned themselfs with water then when the shampo and towels apear they go mad i have to shut libby and kerrie in the kichen so that i can bath rosie but just be for christmas i took them to be groomed i have a friendwho has a pet and grooming shop he gave them a bath and then blasted of with a hi presher vacum they had new collers with labs on for chistmas and they look loverly i will be taking them to my friend shop in future for a bath in winter i only bath twice a year happy new year to everyone sue

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi
Many dogs don't like going in the bath and yet love water, so I wouldn't worry - it's something you need to get them used to from puppyhood, and even then some dogs don't like it. The frequency with which you should bath your dog (ie no more than once a month) is not sufficient to get them used to it, so if anyone really wants to use the bath to get them use to it, just use water (hope that makes sense :? ).
Don't forget labs were originally used to pull the fishing nets in the icy seas, so cold water is not a problem.
I've have just got back from a walk where one of mine came back covered in mud (and I mean covered - the only yellow I could make out was on his back). The other one who was much cleaner found a huge pile of fox poo to roll in right at the end :roll: . So it was straight into the back garden, I used a bucket of warm water (with shampoo to get rid of the eau de fox poo) and both were hosed down afterwards.
You may find it easier to use the garden - even in the winter unless its very cold. Mine still swim in the river even when its icy, so as long as they are dried quickly there's no problem. Also, they can have a good shake outside and save the bathroom :D
HTH :)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Rubber_Soul,

Bradley our pup was exactly the same, top tip is to buy a baby bath! They work a treat, try introducing Yasmin slowly and maybe float some of her toys in there. Bradley loved it, and has had hours of fun in the bath as a young pup. (It was also great in the summer as it cooled him down)

Now, he doesn't get bathed as in general he's very clean, if he goes in the sea, he gets a hose down (which i have to say he's not a big fan of)

Hope this helps.

Here's a picture of Bradley in his baby bath back in the summer. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Molly had pretty much the same reaction last week when we bathed her for the first time,
She didn't like it, or didn't hate it!...just pretty much stood still with a puzzled look on her face!...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
hi there interesting topic... My frodo is quite neutral to baths.. he does not hate it or love..he just stands like an ice mannequin...

Labdad i'm suprised 8O to know that labs out there are given bath just once a month...Well out here in mumbai coz of the humidity we give our labs a weekly bath....

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi everyone,

My lab Ben thinks that every time you run a bath it is for him! you can not get him away, he'll do anything to get in it. He stands on the edge of the bath with his front feet dangling in the water while it is filling up. Then when his is in it he lays down and you can't get him out! :lol:

Cristina & Ben

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Err, I feel kind of guilty - in seven years (on thursday) Shadow has never had a bath! He has a lovely glossy coat and doesnt smell, or scratch so I saw no point in bathing him.

Cheers,

Paul & Shadow

·
Registered
168 Posts
Paul

....I'm with you, I've only rinsed Molly down when she's been in the sea ... never bathed her, simply give her a good groom once a week and she too has a glossy coat and doesn't smell (other than the occassional rear end noises in the evenings!!!!).

Is it important to bath them?????

Rgds

Mark

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
I'm with cristina here,dylan runs a mile for a bath or the shower and if you leave the door to the en-suite open then thats it we have to drag him out as he will sit in the shower for ages waiting for the water,dylan just loves to roll in anything smelly, typical labbies and in the summer he has the hosepipe outside and if he really is smelly in the cold weather i will hose him down in the garage before showering him inside i could not imagine having him in the house if he stank that much and with or without a shower dylans coat is really shiny(wish i could get his piccy on but keeps telling me wont accept dylans format)but nothing beats a clean smelling lab.Lynne.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts