Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm
Following on from my first post Puppy Vs rescue?

I wanted to ask since I have decided to get a puppy lab, is barking something you can discourge with training. I know finding the right breeder with quiet parent's is important too but I've had a few people tell me there labs bark at everything.

Just want to check this is something I can prevent with training?

By quiet I mean I want a Labrador who once has alerted me to something will stop barking when told. Due to my tinnitus I can't stand constant barking. I was surprised they said there's barks at everything even a leaf falling off a tree! I was surprised since labs are known to be quieter than most due to there original job.

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
Some Labradors bark, some almost never bark. My Chloe is the former, Amy was the latter. But Chloe will stop if I tell her to. But actually I'm quite happy with that, being a little hard of hearing these days she will always tell me if somebody rings the door bell, and will stop when I tell her. But Labradors are not naturally a noisy dog, only barking if there is a reason.

·
Premium Member
8,958 Posts
My oldies tend to bark more as they spent their formative years in a very rural environment with no people or traffic. My youngsters tend to bark at new things (like an unfamiliar parasol my neighbour put up in her garden - worse with inanimate objects than moving objects but they soon lose interest) but generally are much quieter as they’ve spent their life in a busier environment. If they bark, I need to take notice.

Reactions: Labs4ever2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some Labradors bark, some almost never bark. My Chloe is the former, Amy was the latter. But Chloe will stop if I tell her to. But actually I'm quite happy with that, being a little hard of hearing these days she will always tell me if somebody rings the door bell, and will stop when I tell her. But Labradors are not naturally a noisy dog, only barking if there is a reason.
I don't have anything wrong with my hearing but when the Tinnitus gets loud I often can't hear anyone at the door so barking at things I can't hear would be a great help to me as long as he stops once I say thank you

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
I just tell Chloe "Quiet!" in a stern voice, then "Good girl" in a happy voice when she stops, and it did not take her long to cotton on. It's all tone of voice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts