Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My name is Sarah and I am new to this site. I have a 5 1/2 month old Chocolate Lab called Coffee Bean ( Bean for short ).
He is brilliant and so well behaved me and my partener couldnt have wished for a better dog.
He's so well behaved we took his pen away last night He is only in there at night.
He was brilliant he stayed in the kitchen played with his toys then went to sleep in his bed he slept all night until he woke me up at 7am for a wee, and of course his breakfast.
Anyway my problem is, since he has not been in his pen at night he has been barking at any noise that is made outside the front door and he barked like mad when the old dustbin men turned up at 07.30 this morning, I think it is good in a way as he is protective off his family and his house. ( will he stop and settle down once he used to all the noises? )
I then went to work and left him down stairs to have the run of the house, should I have just left him in the kitchen? ( Matt was aslpeep upstairs ).
For the first time he barked and barked, Matt went down stairs and saw him up at the front window. Is this becuase it is all new, all new noises etc, and maybe because he isnt really a puppy anymore as he has the run of down stairs. Any advise will be much appricated.

Many Thanks Sarah

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Sarah

Not much I can advise as my puppy is now 7 1/2 months and doesn't bark at things. He is still kept in his crate at night.

My guess is that when he ws in his cage he saw that as his territory and he felt safe. Now he has the house as his territory, he probably feels a bit more insecure and is being territorial and barking at things because he isn't sure of them.

I'm not sure if it will settle down, a lot of labs bark when they hear noises outside their home.

People can come up to my window and look in and Scooby will be laid on the sofa not really even noticing until I point them out! :D

As for letting have the run of the house - it depends on how destructive he is and whether you teasure your fixtures and fittings! A few labs on this forum have taken to eating kitchen units and skirting boards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tracey
Thank you for your reply, I thing you may be right about the terrotiary thing, I hope he settles down a bit.
He is so good, he has not chewed one thing in are house apart from his toys.

Thank You Sarah and Bean

Tracey said:
Hi Sarah

Not much I can advise as my puppy is now 7 1/2 months and doesn't bark at things. He is still kept in his crate at night.

My guess is that when he ws in his cage he saw that as his territory and he felt safe. Now he has the house as his territory, he probably feels a bit more insecure and is being territorial and barking at things because he isn't sure of them.

I'm not sure if it will settle down, a lot of labs bark when they hear noises outside their home.

People can come up to my window and look in and Scooby will be laid on the sofa not really even noticing until I point them out! :D

As for letting have the run of the house - it depends on how destructive he is and whether you teasure your fixtures and fittings! A few labs on this forum have taken to eating kitchen units and skirting boards.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
yes i agree with tracey i also think bean is protecting his territory rosze is 9 months and doesnt bark at anything (she watches my older lab brandy do all the braking) im hoping she will start soon as i dont want ppl thinking she is soft and let anyone come to the house...although she does bark in her crate but that is because she thinks we are not coming back wich we are working on..lol..

please be aware of the chewing..lol..that is why rosze is crated when we leave the house as she destroyed it 3 weeks ago chewed skirting boards /fireplace/wallpaer/stairs/landing/ you name she chomped on it..lol..so watch out for the suprise chewing ..lol..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts