Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a nearly 17 week old chocolate lab, he is so well behaved and really good he has always slept throught the night and never barked, Well that it until now.
I think he may be barking because his teeth are hurting everytime he barks he wines after. I have just also spoken to my partner who is at home with him, he's been barking when Matt put's him in his pen after play and walks, he has never barked before when put in his pen he loves it in there?
I think it may be because he is teething and it hurts, what should I do? Just ignore him as I do not want a barking lab or give him something to chew like a icey towell?

Is it normal to bark when teething and wine a lot? :twisted:

Any advise or help will be very much appricated.

Many Thanks

Love sarah and Bean X

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if they bark more when they are teething? It may just be attention seeking. They normally bark to alert your attention. I maybe wrong. For long term control, practise regulary giving the command "speak" when it starts to bark. Follow this with "quite" or "no".With training, the pup will learn to "speak" (thats bark) and to be quiet on your command. With the teething I soaked bens tugger rope in water and put it in the freezer over night, then gave it to him in the morning. Ice cubes are good too :D HTH

Cristina

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Sarah,

Sounds to me like Bean has discovered his 'bark'. We went through a similar stage with Bradley, he had never barked before and all of a sudden he started to bark at silly things. I'm not sure if his was related to his new teeth coming through, but it was around the same time.

We haven't taught Brad to bark on command, We have however taught him to be 'quiet', and when he went through his barky stage, we would tell him firmly 'quiet'. He did it for about 3 weeks or so, then suddenly stopped. Was quite weird i must admit.

Found a couple of links which might be helpful to you:

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/barking.html

http://www.perfectpaws.com/bark.html

I'm sure a few others will have some helpful tips for you, all the best for now.

Julie

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Barking pup

Hi it could be that your little monkey wants attention or could just be loney in his pen if he knows people are about. My chocolate lab did that for a while I ended up having to give him my fleece so that he would be quiet all to do with them being able to smell you off it.

Thing is he is 6 years old now and every time I get the fleece out to wear I end up with a huge baby on my lap :p :p :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts