Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Bramble keeps barking at the guinea pigs - only when she can "see" them though (ie when they are not in the bed bit of the hutch or they are in the run)

I watched a bit today (in between trying to recall her away :lol: ) and she was going nuts, running roundthe run, pawing at the run, really low crouching and woofing at them. I know she is still a pup but need to stop this behaviour - sooooooo any ideas?

<taking her out on the lead into the garden when they are in the run isnt really an option as i'd be in and out all the time :lol: >

thankyou

G

·
How long have you had her?

I have Guinea Pigs and up until recently I had free range Bunnies too. Some pups have not taken much notice of them but others have had a much stronger prey drive and acted much like your Bramble.

For the first few days, I tend to just "AH AH " and physically remove the pup, or if they do come away voluntarily, then they get praised. If after a week or so this still doesn't appear to be working, then I up the Anti a bit and catch them at it, hold onto them and give them a good telling off. Most after a few weeks though have realised that the GP's are actually really boring and have lost interest in them.

I am reschooling a Terrier around the GP's at the moment, as she wants so badly to EAT them. She is getting better after only a few days though but as she is an older dog and a Terrier to boot, I have gone for the water pistol method, while I'm in a position where she can't see it's me squirting it. So she is learning the consequence of " so much as look at the GP's and all of a sudden you get rather wet". The confusion on her face was priceless to start with but she picked it up quickly for a Terrier and is already showing some self control now. I would never fully trust her with them running around outside though, unlike my own dogs who just come to tell me the little buggers have escaped again. :lol:

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
It really weird they do go on well with it but my lady is fine with it but My black Lucy she lick it when i have it out I'm all ways frighting her and go and play it this is my guinea pig

1 - 3 of 3 Posts