Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my puppy Leon is 10 wks old now and I would just like some pointers on managing his behaviour. He is a very bright but lively lab. He has growled at me on several occasions and has been a bit snappy. I have a lead attached to him in the house so I can grab it if he's misbehaving and want to pull him away. I restrained him recently in this manner when he tried to chase the cat. He started barking and growling and biting the lead.Over the last few days he has also been barking when unable to get his own way. Today I took him to the vet for his second vaccination and he spent the whole time in the waiting room barking which then went through the roof when a collie appeared. I don't know if he was barking actually at the dog or merely the fact that he was being restrained on my lap so couldn't play (last week I took him to see a trainer who introduced him to her lab and he was fine). Is this normal behaviour for such a young labrador? I suspect it may be something to do with the alpha male status. I have noticed he behaves far better with my bf (who does have past experience with puppies). Unfortunately he works full time whereas I'm at home so it falls to me to lay down the law. I feel somewhat stupid admitting that sometimes Leon does make me nervous (a 10 wk old puppy for gods sake!) and i know I need to curb this as he's going to get a hell of a lot bigger. I also want to moderate this behaviour for the sake of my children (who are also particularly nervous of him)
Any advice would be gratefully received. I have his name down for a puppy school and am also arranging to meet again with the trainer to discuss specific issues before this starts. I know I am in for a long haul with labrador training but am desperate to start on the right foot and with him knowing his rightful place. Also I would quite like to meet anyone who lives locally to me (Nr Milford Haven, pembrokeshire) who has experience in raising labradors, for further advice and support and possibly a walking companion (Leon is allowed out on the lead in a week) Even my vet said 'look out world!'

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sorry now advice for you...I just wanted to bump this and hope that someone who has more experience will be along soon to offer some. My experience however is...

I have a 10wk old pup at the moment who is becoming far more lively. she occasionally barks for attention (we ignore her when she does this and she is learning that it doesn't work!) She doesn't like being restrained however and when we had her at the vets at the weekend she spent the whole time she was restrained on my knee whining!!You would have thought we were trying to murder her. SHe does still occasionally lunge at us and try to bite us when she is excited, but this is becoming far less as she gets ignored when she starts this as well. Don't know if any of this wil be of any use but you are not alone :D :D

Heather

·
Registered
315 Posts
This is typical puppy behavior. It is up to YOU as the owner to decide if you want your pup to be a barker...a biter...a puller...a whatever.
If you want none of these things, then simply make them stop.
When my puppies would bark when i didnt allow it, i'd butt in and say HUSH, or STOP...not screaming at them, just an abrupt jolt of noise to cut the unwanted behavior out.
if he's on your lap and barking, i can not think of a more annoying thing to watch as an onlooker because of the fact you have the ability to make them stop.
If he's on your lap and barking, give him a quick poke in the side and say AH AH, or no bark! be stern...be patient...and most important BE PERSISTANT!
When biting, well you can take whoevers advice on this subject because i know i teach mine differently because i also allow it to some extent.
If they are playing knawing on my fingers or hands and being gentle, then i completely allow it. If they are biting and it hurts...i immediately stop the game, wrap my hand firmly around the entire muzzle or bottom jaw and say NO BITE.
Growling is a typical puppy behavior, which when he is older may be taken the wrong way so you need to decide if your going to allow that as well.
Just remember patients is a virtue and persistance is key :)
Best of luck, hope things work out well for you and your new pup :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just normal puppy behaviour we had the same, but dont let him/her get her own way completeley agree with post above, a simple NO and then ignore them should with persistance sort it. you ever seen super nanny could take 30mins or 30 days but with persistance you will get there. start as you mean to go on and you will get there still have the odd problem day here with harvey but persistance and consistancy will turn them into the perfect family dog "firm but fair" think that sums it up.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all ppl who replied. I just find it hard as Leon never plays up for my other half yet left in my control he barks and when repremanded growls and goes for my fingers! This all implies that it's something i'm doing and right now i feel a bit of a failure. Tonight was a classic example. We carried him round the block tonight to get him used to it. Leon was fine when my bf carried him (can't go on floor for another week) but when I carried him he barked and growled and led a proper old dance! Its the same when I hold him in the car, take him to the vets etc yet when the bf does it Leon turns into an angel!I will keep trying though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good luck, you just need to keep reminding him that your the boss...and you'll get there!

Im actually having really bad problems with my boyfriends puggle so i feel as a bit of a failure myself because he'll be SOOO good for a few weeks then one day POOF all my hard work has gone and he's jumping on people, jumping on furniture etc etc...but just dont give up. I didnt give up either and after a day or two he remembers that Im the boss and no matter how hard he tries i wont give up.
You'll have your ups and downs trust me...but it's all apart of being a dog owner. We all learn from our mistakes :)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
POOPSCOOP10 said:
Thanks to all ppl who replied. I just find it hard as Leon never plays up for my other half yet left in my control he barks and when repremanded growls and goes for my fingers! This all implies that it's something i'm doing and right now i feel a bit of a failure. Tonight was a classic example. We carried him round the block tonight to get him used to it. Leon was fine when my bf carried him (can't go on floor for another week) but when I carried him he barked and growled and led a proper old dance! Its the same when I hold him in the car, take him to the vets etc yet when the bf does it Leon turns into an angel!I will keep trying though.
hiya, dont panic!! My lu was a little bugger at times as a little pup! I found that when telling her off if i pointed my finger at her she hated it and would try to go for it! Try lowering ur voice more i found that helped.

Also who feeds leon?? Who plays with him? If its a job u and ur other half share then for the time being make feeding a job only you do so he see's u as a provider of good things. And make sure u play with him so he doesnt see u as only the teller off'er!! lol. Also remind urself that u are the boss cos if ur feeling nervous or stressed or afraid he can sense it. It'll be alright :) keep up with the training classes too as itll help ur confidence as well as being good for leon :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is what I found with Mackie: All a puppy wants is attention - if you give him it, then he learns that whatever he's just done works (barking, biting, lunging, etc...) If he does something you don't like, then stand up and walk away from him. If he's still jumping around trying to hang off your legs, then walk away through a door and shut him by himself for ten minutes. If he's shouting his head off, then leave him till he's quiet, and wait another two minutes then go back to him - repeat as necessary! He's a bright boy - he'll get the idea very quickly. Labs are notoriously good at winding you round their little paws - don't give up, just be consistent and patient.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
labmomma said:
If he's on your lap and barking, give him a quick poke in the side and say AH AH, or no bark! be stern...be patient...and most important BE PERSISTANT!
OUCH! I personally wouldn't do that. Human hands to a 10 week old puppy (or a dog of any age) should be associated with kindness, gentleness, caresses, rewards and NEVER pain. Apart from that, a 10 week old is still a baby.

I think that if you start poking, slapping, holding muzzles closed etc, sooner or later as the dog gets bigger, it will retaliate in the only way it can, which could be a proper bite.

Becs

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for all of the advice. Is somewhat comforting to know i'm not alone in my plight! I do feed Leon during the day and also play with him (despite hating me when he can't get his own way I successfully trained him to sit, stay, give paw and come!) I will maybe try the ignore approach (certainly 95% of his barks are attention seeking) I suspect this will become a little easier when he can go on the ground (is a nightmare when you're out and he starts growling and squawking, it's particularly difficult to ignore when he's doing it in your face and your unable to put him down!)
Today I will take him for a short walk (carrying him) while my other half is in work and hopefully he will eventually adjust to it/me. Possibly part of the problem could also be him picking up on my nervousness. Hopefully the trainer can help me out with this, but like someone said, i'm the boss and i need to remember this. Thanks again for all of your help, I feel somewhat bolstered once again by all the positive advice so here goes again... :roll: :!:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Becs said:
labmomma said:
OUCH! I personally wouldn't do that. Human hands to a 10 week old puppy (or a dog of any age) should be associated with kindness, gentleness, caresses, rewards and NEVER pain. Apart from that, a 10 week old is still a baby.

I think that if you start poking, slapping, holding muzzles closed etc, sooner or later as the dog gets bigger, it will retaliate in the only way it can, which could be a proper bite.

Becs
Im not saying haul off and jab your pup with a good right hook but to a 10 week old puppy who isnt familiar with words yet, just by taking your index finger and giving a light push on the side to get there attention to you isnt grounds for animal abuse ;)
If you teach the pup manners right from the get go and they respect you, you should never have to worry about them retaliating :)

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
labmomma said:
Im not saying haul off and jab your pup with a good right hook but to a 10 week old puppy who isnt familiar with words yet, just by taking your index finger and giving a light push on the side to get there attention to you isnt grounds for animal abuse ;)
If you teach the pup manners right from the get go and they respect you, you should never have to worry about them retaliating :)
I didn't say it was grounds for animal abuse, it's just not the way I'd do things, nor what I'd advise anyone else to do, but I'm happy to agree to disagree :wink:

Becs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts