Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like just one thing after another with Gillie at the moment! I have him his Drontal Plus this morning at 7am (2 tablet as he is 16kg) and he has just produced the most spectacularly disgusting green diarrhoea. I am assuming this is most likely to be the Drontal. Is there anything I should do or look out for?

Why do we have them!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
When Megan was small Drontal made her so sick I finally understood what "sick as a dog" meant 8O Just starve for a few hours then treat his tummy gently for a day or two, small meals of boiled chicken/rice is our fall-back.

Has he reacted to Drontal like this before? If not it may be a bug in which case same treatment. Megan could never tolerate Drontal or other oral wormers the vet tried so we've stuck to regular Frontline which the vet says should control internal parasites too. And she's never had a problem in that Dept since.

Yet our 2 Guide dog pups have swallowed Drontal like sweeties with no reaction - must just be the dog :roll:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Can't really offer any advice as I don't use Drotal, I use Milbmax (not spelt right) and seems to suit both mine.

Hope Gillie is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Zadie reacted to drontal too - so JohnW suggested changing brand - the vet suggested panacur (or equivalent) granules - and she is fine on those.

I didn't ever starve her or anything as I knew it was the drontal rather than an upset stomach - and she was fine with her usual meal the same day. But you know your own dog - so decide what is the best approach for you.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
after starving her. I would then give her some natural yoghurt to line the stomach with. (I dilute with warm water to make it look like nice milk!!! also helps rehydrate them by adding the water)

Then after an hour or so after the yoghurt I would then give some scrambled egg to help bind her up. hopefully resume normal feeding tomorrow morning - but initially only a small quantity.

LEAVE water available at all times!

She should with any luck be back to normal by tomorrow, poor lamb.

Keep an eye on her for dehydration if the diarrhoea continues. As pups can become dehydrated very easily.

(pinch scruff of neck should be elasticy and springy NOT feel greasy or sticky or remain tented when pinched)

Keep an eye on her gums also - should be nice pink and feel moist to touch.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice - this is his first time on Drontal (he has had Panacur before) He is fine in himself and drinking well so we will just keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Indy was changed to Drontal from Panacur a couple of worming sessions ago and initially had a very runny bum, but the last time she had it, she pooed normally (I was expecting a river again :lol: )

It might just be Gillie getting used to it, although knowing his history it may pay to be a little more careful?

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Mine used to get softer poohs after I gave them Drontal - not green though, just softer with mucous (sorry) for a pooh or two.

He's not been eating sheep pooh or similar has he as that can produce a nice green effect!

I haven't changed brands - don't want to use Milbemax because I have a collie and also as it affected all the dogs, I figured it couldn't be because one didn't get on with it. I wondered if because their poohs are usually Naturediet firm, it was more noticeable than with some other foods.

I have found something though - I bought some probiotic powder from Vet UK (via the Oldies Club link :D) - and I tried giving them this with the feed that contained the Drontal and then the next day (and sometimes the day before the tablet too) and it helped significantly, their poohs are now normal/very close to normal after being wormed. Great news as I hate giving them something that makes them loose :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
bld said:
Thanks for the advice - this is his first time on Drontal (he has had Panacur before) He is fine in himself and drinking well so we will just keep an eye on him.
Same issue as you guys (maybe), 8 weeks worm was pancure paste over three days which gave alfie Mild bad tummie. Vet switched to the Drontol tablet given in one tablet at next worm, little fella had awful upset tummmy for 2 days after which cleared normal thereafter.

Reduced feed by 30% and went down Chicken and Rice route for last feed before bed.

Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts