Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, we are newcomers to the forum and would appreciate advice,views and opinions on 'Our Wendy's' problem..Story Begins. We have Cassie a lovely Rescue Golden (more White Really) Lab who has epilepsey,happily under control (no fits for the last 3 years at least).We had just moved to a lovely part of the world (Pembrokeshire) Dog heaven really,So,we thought we have lots more time for 'Walkies' (semi-retired) and essential training time,why not get Cassie a companion (she was then 8 and slowing up a bit) and another friend for us,for when the worst but enevetable happens.We check out a local breeder who has a Bitch nearly ready for Homing,we go to check her out,but are warned that someone has already looked at her,and are pondering whether to go ahead.
We go,see Her and of course she is lovely,we go away to think about it and make sure that this is what we want. We decide that YES we do want another Lab,but Yes,you guessed it the other people had also said that they wanted her....Goodbye little 'Joan' . The Breeder then says that a friend of hers has a 4 month old Bitch that was born with a Hernia,
that has now healed,and would we be intrested...well... yes we would,
we then thought we asked all the right questions,Parents,Hip Scores,Eye Scores, any dangers with a dog 'post hernia' ? Only one,She was NOT to be bred from under any circumstances... we had no plans in that direction anyway so that wasn't a problem, the breeders friend come from quite a way away (about 120 miles or so) so a date was made when she would bring 'Wendy' over for us to see. Well of course we saw her and fell in love,
paid a not inconsiderable sum of money, and 'Wendy' a 4 month old Black Bitch was ours (and Cassie's). Everything went great for about 6 months,not too much excercise (just as Cassie likes it !) plenty of swims in the (Summer) sea,then one day after retrieving a stick from the river
'Wendy' comes out limping badly,1st trip to vets, 'Stifle Strain' (no X-ray) Rest,Anti-Infllamatories,more rest. another 3 months later,running on the Beach for a Frisbie, Limping again back to the vets, More Rest,Anti-Whatsit,and even more rest... and yes, it happens again This time the other leg. Start to get worried.... seek a second opinion and get an X-ray done of her hind quarters. Result , she has Very bad Hip Displasia,which in turn is putting pressure onto her Stifles (knees) Prognosis: not good,
either 4 large operations ,with limited chance of success because of her advanced age (now 18 months) or a life time of pain control and a battle against arthritis(which had already started). OR THE UNTHINKABLE !!!(sorry for shouting!) . So ,here we are in a 'Dog Heaven' and i am frightened to take her onto the Beach,she is taking a daily dose of 'Metacam' with her food,for the pain plus a daily dose of Glucosamine Hydroclouride to slow up the arthritis,I watch her weight like a hawk, and take her for short 'controlled' walks only (thank goodness it's still winter). But she is like a 'tightly coiled spring' waiting for the warm weather so that she can go 'BOOOOINNNGGG' again ! (just like Zebedee !)
Sorry this is so long,BUT any thoughts,idea's Help Etc., Etc.,
would be greatly appreciated by ALL of us Thanks Ray,Linda,Cassie & Wendy XXX Lick Lick :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,083 Posts
RE-BAD HIPS

Hi Rayj,Sorry to hear about Wendys hip dysplacia my 15month old black lad has bilateral elbow dysplasia,( ocd or osteochondritis dissecans whichever you like to call it)he was operated on by an orthopedic surgeon 3weeks ago,he had a fragment of bone removed from his elbow,the bone had started to re grow where it was, he has a different problem with the other elbow and i will probably be told on the 16th when he goes for a check up with the surgeon what she is going to do,i do know she intends to operate eventually.Dylan cannot take metacam,rimadyl or glucosamin,he gets sick with them and both my vet and surgeon refused to give him anymore,he is still limping and is going crazy on short lead walks but if it means he can have a better life( even though he has allready got arthritis )eventually so be it.Have you seen a specialist or is it just your vet that has read the x-rays?and why do you think there is a limited chance of success because she is 18 months old ?what my vet and the specialist told me were different in a lot of ways but my vet had allready told me he was no expert so hence the referal to an expert.I know elbows and hips are different but is it not worth the consultation fee to get an expert opinion if you are able to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Hi Ray
So sorry to hear about Wendy. Was the second opinion from a vet? If so, I would ask to be referred to an orthopedic specialist. Most vets are like GPs and most have very limited experience reading xrays. What surgery was suggested. I know a triple pelvic osteotomy is only performed on young dogs, but there are other possibilities including other surgical and non-surgical treatments.
Also, have you informed the breeder - some don't want to know, but whatever response you get I would inform them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Hi Labdad
How's the packing going :D hope you're well.
good link - has some useful info on other lab related areas too

Umbilical hernias are generally considered to be hereditary and any bitch who has one, or litter mates, should not be bred from.
HTH :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think they Knew.

hello labdad,Lablover Etc., thanks for your input,
We did tell the Breeder,she did offer to take her back,but we couldn't do that,we love her too much after 18 months.
My suspicion is that apart from the Hernia,she knew that there were other problems as well,and as we were already looking after a 'not quite perfect' Labrador (in others Eyes !!) we probably wouldn't mind. Apart from the quite high purchase price,(as per a normal Healthy dog) WE CHOSE to look after Cassie with Epilepsey, we thought Wendy would be healthy. As for the operations,you guessed it ! Cassie wasn't insured, Because of the Epilepsey,so we didn't insure Wendy Either ! we just put a set amount aside every month for vets fee's. But not enough for for a course of Major surgery which might or might not cure the problem.
So,here we are,we are trying the 'conservative course of treatment'
and just Loving Her.
The Hip and Eye score readings for the Parents do not necessarily confer
the same scores on the offspring. As we have found out. RayJ :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Hi
! we just put a set amount aside every month for vets fee's. But not enough for for a course of Major surgery which might or might not cure the problem.
A Lab can live for 12-15 years, sometimes longer. Were I in your situation I would become a student of the disease and seek out the opinion of at least one if not to ortho specialists. Check out the teaching hospitals. If surgery is recommended, work out a payment plan or hold a bakesale.

It is a very difficult question to anaswer but: What is best for the dog?

HTH
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top