Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 week old has been very good at sitting and waiting to be told he can have his food from 9 weeks old (advised to do this by someone a lot more experienced)

He's suddenly resisting the sitting and waiting for his food and when he does go to eat it, isn't gobling it down as usual. It would be good to know why he's doing this.

Should I be forcing the issue (to stop losing control/show who's boss), or back off for a while and start again

He used to be very good at just sitting as well and this has gone down hill over the last few days. I did read that if they don't obey the first command not to keep saying it as they will think it's ok to only do what they are told after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time of asking.

I'm kind of holding off forcing obedience e.g. pulling on the lead, chewing it, walking to heel etc until he starts classes on 7th September, but worried that I should still be trying to maintain what we already had

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
You need to always reinforce what you have already covered! This is the long haul and you have MANY mountains to climb as far as behaviour manners etc is concerned!

Don't expect too much. Your pup is just a baby yet. Just be consistent and firm and ENJOY this stage. There are many many more buttons your pup will find to press before you get to the lovely well behaved dog in the future!

Not allowing bad habits to start is the best thing at this stage. Set out your ground rules and stick to them. Consistency is the key.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts