Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
As many will know, Judy is 11 years and 8 months, diagnosed ED, got arthritis and we suspected some HD years back.
We manage her weight brilliantly and she has various supplements

It's been a noticeable increase in joint nibbling post walks and a good few weeks back I posted about involuntrary kicking out with back legs at rest or walking. This subsided but last 3 or 4 weeks her back legs have, from time to time, given out as she runs - fine on standard walking. We suspect it's age, arthritis or (we fear) degenerative myelopathy.

My question is - I have finally managed to get a session of hydro booked for tomorrow as ours have reopened from lockdown - does anyone think hydro could have any NEGATIVE effect on her??????

Any advice gratefully received........ as we head towards her 12th year I just love her even more!! 馃槝

Administrator
does anyone think hydro could have any NEGATIVE effect on her??????
No. I would be very surprised if it did. The point about swimming is that the water takes most of the weigh rather than the joints, so joint wear/damage is lessened. But dont be surprised if she is a bit stiff after, at least to start with, she will be using muscles maybe not normally used, or not used to such an extent. But that will go as she gets use to it.

Go for it!

Registered
Have you thought about acupuncture? I had a 14 year old boy who had similar problems to what you鈥檝e described although it was mainly elbow problems. Like you I gave him various supplements and he had hydrotherapy once a week. It was on a treadmill in a water tank and helped tremendously. It was then that my vet suggested trying acupuncture which I did and that in association with the hydro work improved him greatly. Jordi had dysplasia and arthritis from a young age and I think the treatments enabled him to live until he was 14, unfortunately I lost him last year. Hope all goes well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts