Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baymax is now almost 11 months. We love him very much. Each human member of the family has its own rapport with him.

To yours truly being the main caretaker Baymax has developed such an attachment that I sometimes call him "my shadow". He really loves being close to me in whatever room/situation I happen to be, usually slouching down to rest ON my feet :) He's usually quiet when at home but sometimes moves close to me and with his powerful head compels me to stroke or otherwise pay attention and get some petting.

At night he sleeps in the living room by himself.

What I'm writing about is when in the early morning I wake up to bring him on his morning walk he's so happy to see me that he really explodes with jumps, licking, going belly up and otherwise showing his love in a very powerful way and the problem (not a huge one) is that he's becoming more and more heavy and powerful and sometimes have to raise my voice to get him to stop him being so "loving" (sorry but I am missing the right word in English).

In other words while I am very happy for him to show such an affection he's sometimes a bit overwhelming.

Should I just live with it and wait for him to grow up and calm down a bit or do something about it?

Thank you all.

Viva Baymax and viva this forum :)

·
Administrator
21,599 Posts
Should I just live with it and wait for him to grow up and calm down a bit or do something about it?
Will he calm down? Chloe is now 6 and is still excited when she first sees me. But be very careful, this type of excitement can be very dangerous and very expensive! Amy jumped up and her head hit my mouth and broke one of my front teeth! It cost me £1000 for tooth repairs. These days I keep out of Chloe's way and use a firm voice to quieten her down.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do understand this so well John. His head is now large and he's so powerful that sometimes he hits me unwillingly but painfully. I find this cute and painful at the same time :)

I did try to wait and see if this immense joy would wain after some minutes but apparently his morning boisterous joy is endless :)

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
My husband has had his front tooth knocked out by Freddie. Must admit, it’s easier for that morning greeting if they’re crated. Sit in the crate with the door open, then treat then out.

Our chocolate sleeps on the bed with us, my husband gets “death by chocolate” every morning. She comes to his head and tries to lick his face, then squirms down the length of his body so her head is by his feet and her butt in his face 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baymax has this fixation with my ears. He tries to insert his full tongue down my ear canal :) :) :) Must find it delicious :) But he's so cute until now I'm enduring these attacks with a smile and all teeth in place ;)

·
Administrator
21,599 Posts
I find the easiest thing with Chloe is to leave my bedroom door open. She never comes in until she hears me moving about, and when she does I'm sat on the edge of the bed getting dressed so my head is out of the line of fire!

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't do that, he sometimes snores and otherwise trashes around at night and unluckily I have a light sleep so need a couple of doors between him and us at night, but yes that would work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Aren't these labs so incredibly strong? I heard of one the other day that had accidentally dislocated someone's knee, running full pelt at the unfortunate one at the beach!
Jas, only a month younger than Baymax, has the same habit - loves to give my OH very wet kisses in his ears. In the mornings he gets up first and she grabs his hand, reasonably gently, leading him to the door.....I get up shortly after, she often jumps at me, I suspect because she knows I've got the dishing out doggy breakfast job. Shoving the nearest soft toy in her mouth seems to calm things down a bit 😀

·
Registered
13 Posts
what sort of reaction do you give when the dog is going mad with excitement? Do you ignore it or do you encourage it with pats and praise etc?

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually kneel down and pray (just joking).
I try to calm him down making him stop jumping on me, so hug/pat him when he's down on his fours and talk with a very soothing calm tone, if he persists I raise my voice and give him the sit command (which usually works).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts