Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few people that use Autarky and I moved George and Charlie onto it in January without problems.

I took them for their annual vaccinations this weekend and the Vet said their coat wasn't as shiny as it should be and George is scratching a lot. He says this is down to diet. I told him I feed them Autarky and he hadnt heard of it. I said it was a natural food used for Gundogs. He said in that case it would be high in protein and carbs but not necessarily have the right amount of essential fats...hence the not so shiny coat. He recommended James Wellbeloved.

I cant find the nutritional info on autarky as I throw the bag away once I get the food.

Can anyone advise on this? I am only skeptical because the Vet had never heard of Autarky and doesnt know its ingredients. Otherwise he is an excellent Vet.

Thanks
Amanda

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
how about slipping in some pilchards or sardines in there meals??
if you dont want to change the food they are on..and i have to say i havent heard of that food either sorry :(

thats what i do for my 2 labs and there coats are very shiny they get a full tin twice a week..(just hold ya nose cause it stinks..lol)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funnily thats exactly what I did this weekend!

Does tuna count as well. How much would I need to give them weekly to be the correct amt? I think I'd rather do that to be honest and I know they'd love the treat!

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I have to disagree with your vet! Corbie has got a lovely shiny coat and he's fed on Autarky and has always been - our vet had heard of this when we mentioned it.

Here's the info you need, taken from Autarky's leaflet (their website is being upgraded):

Adult is:
28% dried chicken content
22% protein
12% oil
3% fibre
6.5% ash
Vit A 15000 iu/kg
Vit D3 1500 iu/kg
Vit E 150 mg/kg
Copper 20 mg/kg

The JWB duck kibble contains (taken from their website):
Minimum 27% Duck,
min. 27% rice,
min. 12% organic oats.
Protein 21%,
Oil 10%,
Fibre 4%,
Ash 7.5%.

Not a lot of difference by the looks of it!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I am skeptical Karen especially since he hadn't heard of it!

I always thought my boys had a shiny coat, its just always been a bit coarse at the base of their tail.

George only has picked up a habit of scratching his his side near under his arm. We looked and there is no redness, no fleas, no flaky skin. His diet hasnt changed. The only think changed is he is going swimming more often in a river he used to swim in once a week anyway.

I am going to try adding fish to help with the coats.

Plus George has to lose half to 1kg and Charlie 3kgs! Its so funny they are so different. They are currently George 35.5kg and Charlie 37kgs. He has always been smaller than George but chunkier. Goes to show same litter or not - they are all different.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I'd stick with the Autarky, especially as it's less that half the price of the JWB for the same sized bag! :lol: :wink:

Hope they get on well with their diets. :D

Yes, knew what you meant by arm, I would've said the same :lol:

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Does tuna count as well. How much would I need to give them weekly to be the correct amt? I think I'd rather do that to be honest and I know they'd love the treat!
erm im not sure on tuna sorry

but my 2 get 2 whole tins twice a week of the pilchards

brandy is 7yrs a heavy lump..lol. slighty overweight..lol

rosze is only 10months nice slim line body on her

they have a cup of ther dried food with the pilchards mixed in (rosze has 2 cups as she is still growing) and yes they love the treat..lol..

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi Amanda, Although I now feed raw, I did feed Autarky to all my Labs.

Not all Labs have the same type of coats, and I found that although all my dogs did very well on Autarky, one did not. Although he looked great his coat did not shine as much as the others and he did scratch a little. But when I took them all off Autarky and changed to BARF, although he stopped the scratching, his coat was still not as shiney as the rest of my Labs. As long as his coat is in good condition and is thriving, I really would not worry too much.

Autarky is one of the few processed dogs foods that I would recommend. Many vets have not heard of it, but there again, even the best vets are not nutritionalists.

Pilchards and sardines are an excellent addition a couple of times a week, as is Salmon oil. Tuna, is not a good as the others but my dogs enjoy it once a fortnight. You could try giving FBO capsules daily, it may make a difference, but it just may be the type of coat he has, a good rough hard Lab coat :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks very much for that.

I think overall they have done very well on Autarky especially on the behaviour front and I am happy to continue but I am going to try supplementing their diet with fish as well.

I always thought their fur was shiny except when they were moulting. The scratching from one is worrying but as I said we can see nothing obvious wrong. In my opinion they have a softish coat and a very soft undercoat. Other than that I think it may just be down to their 'lab coats'.

But you know what we are like any suggestion our babies might not be 100% we go into 'mum mode' to get it sorted.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Why would you say Tuna is not as good as the others?,Dylan lives on tuna and chicken,and his coat is very very shiny and in excelent condition,so obvously it is not as bad as that,all my dogs have had tuna and sardines for their coats,and i dont see the difference in tuna to salmon,except i have been told salmon is far richer than tuna,

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Pilchards/sardines/mackeral have all the Omega 3s which can be absent from tuna

Sardines/pilchards/mackeral in tomato sauce is excellent
a) the tomato sauce helps prevent brown lawns
b) the fish contains valuable Omega 3s and EFA for dog health.

Hoep this helps :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi Amanda,

I think it's the oils from oily fish that help with the coat and tuna, salmon, pilchards, sardines, mackerel all class as oily/fatty fish so I guess they are fine. I know Milo loves tuna and this is what the local kennels give the dogs when they go off their food.

So I guess any of these are fine. x

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
If you are contemplating giving extra oil for your dog's coat etc then you would be better off giving Fish Body Oil 1,000mg than CLO. The reason for this is that CLO contains Vitamins A & D which are fat soluble and too much can be toxic to your dog. If your dog is fed liver once a week this is a good source of Vitamin A and CLO will be superfluous.

FBO cannot be OD'd on, are full of essential Omega 3s which are low in both commercially and raw fed dogs as cereals make up the bulk of commercial food and so have high levels of Omega 6 but low Omega 3 and most meat is grain fed and has the same problem.

Omega 3s are also excellent for brain health and joints. This has been proved on experiments on both children and dogs Another excellent source of Omega 3s are oily fish either fresh or canned eg mackeral, pilchards, sardines, but not Tuna.......

Yes Tuna is great, my dogs love it, but it does not contain the nutrients required. There is absolutely no harm in giving dogs tuna, but its the other fish that is required for the oils.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts