Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm new to this forum and am hoping for some advice about my yellow lab Kia. She is almost 9 now and when I am at my caravan she seems to constantly bark for attention from everyone around. Its constant and she ignores my command to stop. People will come and make a fuss of her but as soon as she is ignored she starts again. It seems to be getting worse as she gets older.
Is this something that others have come across? Any ideas how I can get her to just stop?

·
Administrator
21,217 Posts
Your post does not really give enough information to be able to make much in the way of suggestions.

In my younger days I had a touring caravan, and my dogs loved it! They lived in doors with us and slept on my bunk. As to barking, at the start of a holiday they would bark if anybody passed close by the caravan but within a day or so of being told to stop they would get use to things. But my dogs were never outside on their own. I would take them out for a short walk three or four times a day for toileting, but they would spend quite a large part of the day out walking with me in the mountains or beach.

Many people used to fence a small area in for their dogs using the orange plastic netting seen around roadworks, but with dog theft the way it is these days I would certainly not recommend that today!

But at 9 years old I think trying to change something which has become a habit is going to be very difficult, add to that I've known some 9 years old dogs starting to get the start of dementia. One of mine used to sit outside and bark at the planes flying into the local aerodrome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. She isnt outside on her own. She is on a long lead outside with me. When others are sat out she barks for their attention all the time. If they come and stroke her she will stop for a few mins but then goes back to barking when they walk away

1 - 4 of 4 Posts