Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We would love for our lab to join us on runs at some point in her life.

At what age would it be suitable to start this? Obviously starting with short runs and building up?

We aren't wanting to rush in, but just a general idea on what is a safe age.

·
Administrator
21,309 Posts
How long is a piece of string? Without knowing how good the hips are it's impossible to say. Where will you be running. Grass has a softer foot fall that for example the pavement. How calm is your dog, running can be exciting, raise the adrenalin level where a young dog may continue long after he should stop for his own safety.

Long bone closure takes place at around 14 months, so I'd not start much before that. Take plenty of time building up stamina and I'd prefer to start on grass.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info - it roughly relates to what we thought too.

We were thinking of around the 12 month mark, so waiting a few more months won't be a problem.

We would be running off road (woodland) the same area we tend to walk her off lead currently.

·
Administrator
21,309 Posts
Dont just go out one day and say "Today I'm going to run." When out walking just jog a few paces encouraging her to stay at heel. Slowly over time increase the distance. That way you are slowly building her stamina without too much excitement creeping in. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts