Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Asha's pups will be 9 weeks old this Friday, I only have 4 of the little terrors at home now (2 going this weekend). But in the past week I have noticed her coat is starting to go patchy. Mainly down her legs and chest and also a little around her sides and face. In some places the skin is very clear as the coat has become to thin? Is this normal? Her weight is back up, she is back on 2 walks a day and fit as a fiddle and the pups are no longer feeding off her? I do remember her mum being very bald in places when I went to pick Asha up so am not too concerned and have read that this is known as 'blowing her coat' but thought I would check with the regular breeders on here for their opinions.

Thanks
Jo

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Yes it is fairly normal, although none of mine seem to suffer from it.

Its all down to hormones though and it will sort itself out soon.

I remember many years ago going to buy a pup, and being shown her mum and saying that I thought she would be Fox Red. Her owner got quite upset with me and trundled off to get loads of photos of the bitch in her bestest Fox Red coat, but her hormones had decreed that most of it drop out. It did not take long for it to return to its former glory though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh great thanks Jill. That's what I thought, but just like to check :D
Hopefully she will be back to her jet black shiny self soon enough. LOL about your experience though!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
JoJo82 said:
Hi All,

Asha's pups will be 9 weeks old this Friday, I only have 4 of the little terrors at home now (2 going this weekend). But in the past week I have noticed her coat is starting to go patchy. Mainly down her legs and chest and also a little around her sides and face. In some places the skin is very clear as the coat has become to thin? Is this normal? Her weight is back up, she is back on 2 walks a day and fit as a fiddle and the pups are no longer feeding off her? I do remember her mum being very bald in places when I went to pick Asha up so am not too concerned and have read that this is known as 'blowing her coat' but thought I would check with the regular breeders on here for their opinions.

Thanks
Jo

Funny you are talking about coat is thing my Lucy coat it thin as well and she had it wehn she was a puppy .

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Lucky Jill! Mine always seem to go like patchy balding rescue dogs with piece of string tails by the time the pups are picked up, yet are fed the best of everything ;-) Its why I love people coming to see them before the pups even - so they know they don't USUALLY look damn awful like that! ;-)

Di

1 - 5 of 5 Posts