Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm so pissed off!! Summer has been really sick as some know and has just got better and my brother does stupid things like leaving sweets laying around! Last night summer ate an entire tub of sweets (not choc) from his room after I'd already got her out and shut his door and told him why he left it open and she ate them so I had to replace them for his girlfriend, then today hes done the same with a half -3/4 eaten bad of chocolate! I closed the door before she saw it and he's been up opened it and left it open so she's now eaten that!!! And is going to end up very sick again and possibly worse and he blames me saying she's not 'trained'!! I could actually kill him right now! He's taking no responsibility says if we go vet he's not paying I have to as it's my fault!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,950 Posts
I think even the most well trained Lab would sneak a sweetie or three if they were left on the floor within reach. Cass doesn't bother with anything on the coffee table but I wouldn't risk letting have free run of the lounge when I was out.

Even mum's border terrorist had a huge box of Thorntons off the coffee table and devoured most of it. This has happened twice in her life and she luckily lived to tell the tale even if she was violent sick afterwards about 4 times. They never had to take her to the vets though as she just got rid of it herself.

Hopefully Summer will be fine. I think it is more that 'some' dogs are allergic to chocolate, not all. Cassie has had the odd malteser if they have happened to roll her way and is fine and our last girl would nibble the bottom of the chocolate son the tree until the chocolate dropped out into her mouth, leaving just the foil. Back then we didn't know chocolate was bad for some dogs.

Just keep a close eye on her, which I am sure you will. Your brother should be more responsible and act his age though. Surely he can understand that she is a dog without the morals and judgements that humans can make. The only thing you can try doing is training her not to go into his room or get him to have a baby gate across his door if he is too lazy to shut it.

Hope Summer will be just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,284 Posts
I'm not sure what quantity/sort of chocolate she ate, but please phone your vet if you're concerned.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs. The darker the chocolate, the worse it is. A malteser is milk chocolate and mostly not chocolate, so (in my non-vet opinion) very unlikely to cause most dogs a problem. Very different from any dog consuming, for example, a big bar of dark chocolate. I have known of dogs end up on a drip after stealing chocolate and remember one Lab very sadly dying, so while I am not a fan of unnecessary vet treatment, it is something to take seriously.

Hope she's ok! Would your brother expect a toddler to leave sweets alone if they were left lying around?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
793 Posts
A Labrador will always become tempted when food is left around, its your brother who needs the training, to keep his door closed!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
17,438 Posts
if it was dark chocolate and a big bar I would call the vet.

Tucker has found a small amount of choc buttons I left in the lounge too much to resist this week, my fault entirely and fortunately he was fine, the chocolate flavoured belch in my face was unnecessary timing I felt though!

How summer is ok. Could a similar incident have caused her sickness before?
If there is a stuff in the house then all need to take responsibility for keeping food stuff out of reach IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Summer is fine thankfully! I wouldn't put it past the fact it might have been that causing her sickness the other day , last night was milk chocolate and a small bit that was left of his bar. He takes no responsibility , all my chocolate is safely put if draws or cupboards out of her way!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
I'd confiscate all his chocolate and sweets and ban sweets and chocolates until Christmas!

I was evil towards my brothers and still am but they now behave quite well, most of the time. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I agree its your brother that needs training rather than your dog!! Most Labradors, well most dogs, will not resist eating food left lying around. It is the cocoa solids that is poisonous for them so eating milk chocolate is less dangerous than eating dark chocolate although I'd still keep an eye on her just in case, especially if she has been poorly before. My Labrador has an extremely sensitive stomach and has been very ill before now from eating things he shouldn't. I remember having a barbecue a couple of years ago and telling everyone not to feed the dog because it would make him ill. One of my husbands 'friends' fed him chilli prawns and he was extremely ill the day after. Needless to say he has never been invited back to my house and he knows why!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I agree the problem isn't with Summer it's you're brother that's the problem. Does anyone on this forum know of a good obedience training for her brother? A proper military school should help him. If not my dad was a Master Sergeant in the Marines, give me a month and I'll straighten your brother out for you. lol
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top