Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really fed up now, my nan had to be taken into hospital today ready for her operation. I drove over 1 hour to take her down only to be shouted at by my nan in the middle of a full ward, because I wouldn't take her laptop computer to the hospital. I've never felt so humiliated in my life, I sat with her for hours waiting for the Dr so she wouldn't be on her own, but I can't take it anymore.

I'm hoping that one of the jobs I've applied to comes good for me because I really don't know how much more I can take! I just feel really low right now and exhausted, I'm utterly fed up of being treated like crap.

Rant over

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is 75 years old.im just fed up with it all now, I'm desperate for a job where I'll be appreciated and paid minimum wage.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
75....then she should know better. She may realise how good she's had it for all this time when you do get a paid job and aren't there for her to throw her demands on anymore.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scatty said:
75....then she should know better. She may realise how good she's had it for all this time when you do get a paid job and aren't there for her to throw her demands on anymore.
You would hope so, unfortunately not. Yeah I just need to have someone give me a chance at a job first. That's the hard bit, especially with so many people out of work, there are bound to be people better qualified or with more experience than me.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Qualifications don't always lead to getting a job, some employers want experience, and some want a blank canvas that they can teach their way.
I honestly do not think that a hospital is the right place for a laptop, and you did the right thing! Yeah she kicked off at you but you could walk away knowing you did the right thing and got her into the hospital.
Chin up :wink:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Iv had a bottle of red so I may not be my "nice" self. She sounds like a butter angry old lady. Sever ties and crack on enjoying your life. You only live once so make the most of it and ensure you don't end up like her.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Horrid :-(

You obviously have lots of patience and 'caring' experience. I know it might not be what you want to do forever, but could you look for some work in a nursing home, or as a care worker who visits people in their own home? That way at least you'd have set hours and minimum wage and hopefully not be treated as you are now.

A friend of mine works as a visitor for people with dementia. She has various clients and visits them in their own home. Her work is mostly on a 'social' level, ie keeping them company, taking them out to places they would enjoy etc. Just another thought.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-Angela- said:
Horrid :-(

You obviously have lots of patience and 'caring' experience. I know it might not be what you want to do forever, but could you look for some work in a nursing home, or as a care worker who visits people in their own home? That way at least you'd have set hours and minimum wage and hopefully not be treated as you are now.

A friend of mine works as a visitor for people with dementia. She has various clients and visits them in their own home. Her work is mostly on a 'social' level, ie keeping them company, taking them out to places they would enjoy etc. Just another thought.
I have been thinking about applying for a Community Support Worker position, and although I don't have a formal qualification in Health and Social Care, the company I was looking at allow you to work towards an NVQ Level 3 in Health and Social Care. So yeah I'm thinking about it, right now though I'm partly fed up with "caring", I guess I've had a bad experience of it with my nan. I am considering it though!

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Takin' a deep breath here ---- I've had wine :wink:

What the hell is your nan doing gobing off about a laptop in a hospital!!!!
She should have a good supply of "Woman's Weekly" magazine!!!! :wink:

I'm now 64, haven't got a laptop an' ---- "Hope I die before I get OLD!!!"

She should stop the "oldie crap" and you should move on --------!!!!!!

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Working in a hospital, we don't like valuable items or lots of patient property as we can't guarantee its safety and patients have to sign a disclaimer. Your Gran's having surgery and her laptop will be left at her bedside, she could also be moved to another part of the hospital depending on her needs after surgery. Property often goes missing, it's a busy environment.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
elsarivka said:
Working in a hospital, we don't like valuable items or lots of patient property as we can't guarantee its safety and patients have to sign a disclaimer. Your Gran's having surgery and her laptop will be left at her bedside, she could also be moved to another part of the hospital depending on her needs after surgery. Property often goes missing, it's a busy environment.
Yeah I know, my dad works in the operating theatre. I wouldn't take it to her anyway, as I fully understand what you said above.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ha, and it would have been your fault if you HAD brought in the laptop and it went missing!

Wishing you find a new path for yourself soon and don't let anyone make you feel bad for following your own dreams.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First off I'm not in your situation, but having said that I know what its like to care for an elderly parent or sick parent. It's an exhausting and often thankless job. I would get upset at my siblings for not helping out more when my dad was sick. Some how all his care fell to my mom and me. He's gone now but now my mom can't stay by herself.
Everyone values their independence, and most don't take it well when they need to rely on someone else. Their frustration is sadly often taken out on the caregiver. The fact that your taking care of your nan speaks of your caring and giving nature. Don't knock yourself about not finding a job. It will happen. If I was looking to hire and I knew you had cared for an elderly family member that alone would speak volumes to me.
Just remember you are a 100 times better than you think of yourself when you're down and your 10 times better than you think you are when you're having your best day. Hang in there Kido, my prayers are with you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts