Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while back we thought Sasha was coming into season as she was humping Oscar at every opportunity and she seems quite aggressive with him (or at the very least very rough play) grabbing his jowels and under his throat/neck area). We decided after a while it wasn't her season but they behaviour isn't going away and it is getting a bit much. She just won't leave the poor boy alone, later in the evening she will sleep and leave him then and on occasion even sleep with him. Sometimes if Tim goes to bed early they will go and cosy up with him until I go to bed and all fine. Apart from an initial attempt at humping they travel well in the car together. I have to keep taking it in turns to put one in the hallway but I really don't like doing that too often. Have tried telling them off, having a shout ...it works for a quick interruption but then she is back having a go at him. Now I must admit he does try and play about sometimes but generally he stays there or leaps about from sofa to sofa (so he is higher than her) and they snap at each other Now it is never that loud but am at a loss as to what to do. They had just got to the stage where they were really fab together and now they can barely be together for more than five minutes without Sasha starting on him.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Well if Oscar is unable to put her in her place then its up to you, otherwise he is really going to get fed up and possibly force him to take unnecessary action.
I am sure it is just he hormones [poor girl] but I think he deserves to have some peace if he wants it, and she should be settled down in another room or crate until she learns.

Pleased I am not in your shoes, sounds like two young teenage humans that don't understand the language :roll: :lol:

June

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He growls a bit, mainly lies on his back and then we he's had enough starts getting grumpy but never really tells her off as it were. Even when he does she doesn't seem to take any notice :(

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ah shades of Judy there!

She's a real dominant and confident bitch and used to hang off other dogs jowls and collars plus still humps other dogs
I would DEFINETELY try to intervene and mould the behaviour against this but from experience its a real tough one!!!

Your two will find their balance but I do think you need to be assertive as to your position

Good luck

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
When Merlin pushed his luck with Cadbury (growled, snapped and chased him away from a treat). I told him off and removed him to the kitchen , behind a stairgate, and made him stay there a while. He only tried to be aggressive at Cadbury once more, with the same reaction from me.

I should add I don't usually make a fuss if Merlin grumbles or snaps because Cadbury is winding him up, but I try not to let things reach that point.

I certainly would be making it plain to Sasha that this not on.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Dolly also went through a' bitchy' stage and just wouldn't leave Alfie alone. At times he would yelp but never really told her off, besides I think if he had of done it wouldn't of been pleasant. I constantly had to be aware of what was going on and not leave them alone together for any period of time.

Dolly is 10 months old now and has only eased off in the last couple of months or so. She's such a bouncy good natured girl, but at times is like a banshee on speed! I really have to be firm and consistant with her.

In fact, the only reason she is still crated is that she gets too rough with Alfie on occasion, so I always crate before I go out still.

Oh, and like Sasha, she is a humper. that's why she's called Dolly Roger :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Tatze is a terror with her friend, Zaba. He lets her do whatever she wants and she will not leave him alone (they are both the same age). We are away at the moment and she's staying with Zaba.

She is driving my friends mad. They end up with her on a lead in the front room.

:roll:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Shelby also had such a stage, she was horrible to Barney: wouldn't leave him alone, if he didn't want to play she was biting his ears :roll: and he wasn't doing much, he'd occasionally growl at her but that's all, just had that look: "Mummy help me...". So I started to work with her to calm her down a bit at home. She's a big girl now (almost 14 months old) and their relationship works perfectly now: she's a bit calmer + he's not afraid to tell her off if he's not in the mood to play. I think (might be wrong) that Barney just felt she's still a puppy so wouldn't tell her off till she grown up.
At the moment they will play a bit but then just go on armchair (Barney) & sofa (Shelby) to relax. I never allowed Shelby to hump him - whenever I've seen that I was taking her off him & she stopped even trying after a while.
My dogs are never left unsupervised as when we're leaving home they're both going to their crates.
I think that Sasha & Oscar just need some more time & they will be best friends :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts