Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baymax is now 9.5Kg at 3 months and according to his kibbles instructions has currently progressed to 90+80+80+90 (tot 340) grams per day.

Same kibbles he's been eating since always.

He looks allright (there's a noticable waistline, ribs can be felt but are not prominent).

What has changed is the number/volume of his poop.

Todays I've scooped up 5 times some fairly large slightly soft droppings which is quite more than it has us used to.

May this be a sign of over feeding or it's probably unrelated? Would the opposite be a sign of overfeeding?

Thanks for having the patience of teaching this old dog (me not the puppy) :)

·
Administrator
20,988 Posts
It could be a sign of over feeding, but it might not be. It depends so much on the particular dog's metabolism. With my Chloe for example, what goes in stays in until she has got every gram of goodness out of it, and as a result she goes just once a day. Amy on the other hand passed the food through quite fast, needed feeding more to maintain her weight and passed it back out three, possibly four times a day. They are all different. Back in the days of Beth and Lucy, Beth got half as much again on top of what Lucy was getting and I still had difficulty keeping weight on Beth and keeping it off Lucy!

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

Other than the individual's metabolism as you describe, would also the dog's age and/or the number of feedings per day influence this?

·
Administrator
20,988 Posts
Yes and yes, but opposite. A puppy needs so much food in proportion to their size, that literally one meal is pushing the previous meal out of the body. As to age, generally speaking it's the old dog, where the digestive system may not be as good as when younger. who starts to poop more frequently and not getting the full value from the food.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes a lot of sense. The vision of a long file of kibbles marching from mouth to backend made me smile :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts