Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruce is coming up 9 months old and he is my first labrador . We go to obedience classes every week and he does brilliantly in the hall but is not as well outside . He is very sociable and I do struggle out on walks to stop him approaching other people and dogs but we are working on it . Bruce comes from working stock and I do feel that I am letting him down a little bit because he is able to do more than I know what to do with him if that makes any sense . I have been looking around at gun dog training not particularly to work him but just for something enjoyable to do and build on his obedience and steadiness.
I suppose what I'm really asking is is this sort of training beneficial to pet dogs and is it something a novice like me is able to do . If someone could give me some feedback into what the training is like that would be brilliant . I've had a look around and can't find any group training classes in my area but have been looking at craigelachie gun dogs who do 1 to 1 group training sessions and they are about a hour away from me . Any recommendations for trainers in the north east ?

Claire x

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I think craigelachie are more a spaniel training kennel. When I posted about starting training with Willoughby Diana suggested I would be better with someone who trains retrievers. Where are you? We have found a trainer at Pickering North Yorkshire. We haven't had any lessons yet, we start next month so can't say what he's like. I did talk to him on the phone at great length and he sounds what we were looking for.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm further north than that om the county durham / tyne and wear coast so pickering is a bit too far for me to go on a regular basis . There seems to be very little in my area think I need to move house 8O

Claire x

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm a pet owner and enjoy gundog training. I travel an hour once a week for a 1-2-1. The lady I train with is a primarily a springer spaniel trainer and breeder but she always has a couple of labs in her kennel. I started to train when I first had a problem with heel spurs. I used to walk Buster for miles a day because he was very boisterous. It didn't calm him down really, he just got fitter. Someone told me to tire him out mentally so I gave it a try. I started alone with the gundog club booklet as a guide. He really improved when he was challenged mentally. I then decided to train with a professional and became disheartened because I had quite a few bad experiences. I lost all my confidence and was going to give up and found the lady I go to now. I'm now hooked and just keep going. I go every week and really miss it if for some reason I can't go. I don't train a lot, just once a week with alternate dogs with normal free running walks in between our sessions. Buster was already fully grown when I started so he isn't as well behaved as Roxy. Roxy is a pleasure to walk, she is so focused on me and it is so much easier to take her places as a consequence of training from a younger age. I say go for it, you will really enjoy it. If you can work with an animal and harness its natural instincts they will feel so fulfilled and that can only strengthen your bond.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Co Durham as well and have struggled to find a local trainer for my lab. I have arranged a 1 to 1 at Campcolis Gundogs who are more labrador centred, they are based north of Corbridge if that would be of any use. It's about an hours drive but hopefully will be worth it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paddy66 said:
I'm in Co Durham as well and have struggled to find a local trainer for my lab. I have arranged a 1 to 1 at Campcolis Gundogs who are more labrador centred, they are based north of Corbridge if that would be of any use. It's about an hours drive but hopefully will be worth it.[/quote

I'll have a look at that one too as its only about 45 mins away from me . Wemust be fairly near each other :D

Claire x

·
Registered
389 Posts
Another person here from Co. Durham. We've done training with Abberwick gundogs at Cramlington, they did some beginner group sessions last year but not sure if they're doing them this year or not.

There's also Delgarno gundogs who are based nearer to Morpeth (I think, I've not done any training with them).

You might also want to consider coming along to a working test to see what goes on. Durham and Northumberland Labrador retriever club have just announced their dates for this year but the Golden Retriever Club of Northumbria will also have some (they let labs enter too, lol).

I would highly recommend coming along to N&DLRC's novice dog/novice handler test in June (I think) as it's all beginners and was laugh last year. The judges were very generous with their scoring (nobody got disqualified) and a 10 year old boy won!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a few miles outside Durham City and it sounds as though you're a bit further up the A1, mind you geography was never my strong point.

Will we be seeing Seb and mum out for the last day this Saturday? As my youngster had been really good sitting on the track listening to the gunshot I was invited to go out for a couple of hours to sit behind the guns and watch last time but they left a nice easy retrieve for us which he did in style. I was so proud. Was sorry not to see you and Seb out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Seb's season is over for this year I think. He's had sickness and diarrhoea today and has been to the vet for jabs to control it so I don't think it's fair to take him in case it's a bug and he passes it on. Never mind!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts