Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked to write something about Arco's work as a SAR dog for the forums.
Arco was not planned to become a SAR dog, that's why we started relatively late, that was when he was about 11 months old.
Here in Austria, we mainly need area and avalanche dogs. We have hundreds of avalanches a year, but fortunately, not all kill or injure people.Arco was mainly trained in disaster and area, disaster being his favourite activity. Arco was tested and mission ready for area and disaster . Our tests consist of 3 levels: the search, an obedience and an agility-test. The obedience part can be compared with what dogs have to do at a Schutzhund 2 obedience test.
SAR dogs are also used for human remains detection, water recovery etc.
We also did quite some avalanche work and and started trailing just to get something new but never worked on. As our SAR group split up and Arco showed signs of age,not physically but mentally, I retired him. We still train for pleasure once in a while.

I added some pictures of Arco working as a SAR dog into my album in BLACK LABs.

I would love to answer your questions!

Edith

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Great job Arco!

I think the SAR dogs do a great job. I watched a programme on the Discovery Channel once about a dog who was trained to find avalanche victims and how they have to react quickly. I know that Scotland's mountains claim a number of lives every year.

I've also heard that two of our lab Corbie's relations are in the SAR in the north of Scotland.

Here the Scottish SAR Dogs website: http://www.sarda-scotland.org/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arco's work as a sar dog

Thanks for the link! I will contact them sooner or later for my trip to Scotland. It would be great to share some knowledge and exchange ideas!

Thanks

Edith

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Edith

Thanks for sharing Arco's experiences with us,you must be very proud of him,what a wonderful dog!

Kev

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Edith,

Sounds like Arco has done an excellent job, and a very worthwhile one at that.

How long did it take to train Arco?

Where did he go for his training, did he go to a special centre or did they start him training out in the mountains?

The scenery looks stunning, loved the photos, have loaded a couple here for everyone to see.

When do you go to Scotland Edith?

Julie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bradleysmum said:
Hi Edith,
How long did it take to train Arco?
It took us about 2 years till he passed his first test (disaster), but a good SAR dog learns all his life. There is so much you can do and shape.

bradleysmum said:
Where did he go for his training, did he go to a special centre or did they start him training out in the mountains??
Our training is always out in the wilds where actual searches would take place too. Authenticity in training is very important. We trained in a local wood, in high elevation areas as well as in swampy places or gardens. Wherever people may get lost, you have to be training so that new situations don't scare the dogs.

Thanks for uploading my photos!

bradleysmum said:
When do you go to Scotland Edith??
If everything turns out the way I want it, I will go there at the end of August. I have to start work September 1st. I am very much looking forward to it and hope that there are no problems with housing and bringing Arco to GB. I've heard all kinds of snightmare-stories about dogs who were sent back dispite their complete pet travel scheme-passports... :(

Edith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts