Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO Arthur loves his apples... we have several apple trees in the garden and he makes a beeline for them in search of windfall... he loves them - do apples do any harm to him? What about rotten apples as he's not fussy!

Also, when not eating apples he heads for the walnut tree and crunches his way through those too...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
No idea about walnuts, but my two eat apples; windfalls and all. I don't worry about it and it's never bothered them, but in season I do go out first and remove the windfalls when I remember. No point in overloading!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I have been told that there is something in the pips that's not good for them. I would imagine they would have to eat a lot of them though. Roxy plays with our windfall apples as if they are balls but never eats them, plums on the other hand are her absolutely favourite.

Amanda, Roxy and Buster

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I'm not sure about walnuts, I'm sure I've read something in the past, so tend not to give those to mine.

Apples I let mine eat from the tree, will share with them etc. I wouldn't choose to let them eat rotting ones though. If I find one on the floor, that gets picked up and binned.

It is cyanide in the pips, but the pips must pass straight through, seeing the way my dogs eat, so I don't worry. The dogs eat the whole apple when they find them in the garden :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Walnuts can be very dangerous. A cousin's dog died after eating a whole walnut. The nut became stuck somewhere and caused a blockage. By the time my cousin and the vet realised what was wrong it was too late to save the dog.
Shelled, they would be fine I would think.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Oh dear, I am afraid my lot are still finding the windfalls on our walk doing their best to clear them all :roll:. Many are rotting I am hoping they choose to leave those alone, but am sure the greedy beggers still munch them also, having said that if I am able I do try to get them on lead asap [not before they have had a good scoff though, sadly].
So far there has not been any bad after effects and they have eaten lots, so it may depend on their constitution, am thinking mine have cast iron guts 8) .
Not sure about the walnuts, I do know Mischa has found some nuts on our walk, but unsure what they are, the evidence was in the poo 8O too late to do anything about them, [they seem to have been swallowed whole and were very much undigested, that was a few weeks ago, no bad after affects since fortunately].
I do sound like a bad mum reading this back, but my lot seem to have super sensitive antenna,, if one gets a whiff of something tasty they alert each other, I have no chance they are off like rockets and taking fellow dogs with them :( .

June

1 - 7 of 7 Posts