Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

We have recently purchased a 'gentle leader' for 'Mr.Pull Your Arm Off' boy! Once upon a time he was fairly (and i say fairly) good on the lead, and responded to us training him to heel, we are now going to try the gentle leader as we have heard great reports about it, and would like to have easier walks.

I have a couple of questions. :D

Does anyone have any tips on getting Bradley used to the gentle leader...i.e. without him trying to 'paw' it off. The very first time we put it on we gave him a treat and lots of praise, then went on to playing to try to take his mind off it.

How long do you leave it on each time in the 'practise' run?

We have great patience and would like to see this work :lol:

Would appreciate all your comments and tips...thanks all. :wink:

Julie

·
Registered
880 Posts
i'd build up gradually each day 3mins the 5 mins then 10 mins then 15 mins etc but it's really important he's happy wearing it before you walk him with it, let him wander in the motorhome with it on I think is probably best.
Anna

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just my two cents: The leader hurts the dog, that's why he avoids pulling.

There are very nice methods to teach your dog not to pull on a lead.
The one I can recommend most is the one by Turid Rugaas. She works just with positive methods, and they work. She will be in England in August.

And there are some books by her, if you are interested.

Edith

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Julie
I've used one with a foster I had.
First thing is to get them used to it, before you even take them out in it. This will probably take anything from a few days to a week.
Put a treat in your hand, put your hand through the nose piece, give him the treat and while he takes the treat slip the nose piece onto his nose. As you take your hand away, slip it off. Do this several times, repeating throughout the day. After a while as you're giving him the treat and slipping the nose piece on, apply gentle pressure to the nose piece - not hard, just so that he can feel it. After a while you should find you will be able to fasten it behind the ears without a problem. Let him have it one around the house (oops caravan) for a short time, and distract him if he tries to paw it off. You should find taking it slowly like this he will accept it.
regards
Jenny

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
The leader hurts the dog, that's why he avoids pulling.
I Think if they are used correctly and it fits properly they do not cause any pain. They are one of the kindest and most effective method of controlling your dog.

They are very simular to the principle of a horse's head collar ; where the head goes the body must follow, kind of like "power steering for dogs"..lol

I found the only problem with a head collar is the occasional ignorance of some individuals, whose poor observational skills lead them to haul their children or dogs away with the cry "mind that dog, he is wearing a muzzel!" All I can say to that is you will then be in a position to educate them!

Good luck Julie, I hope brad takes to it fine.. :D

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
I've just bought a padded halti and she seems much happier with it. The muzzle thing is a common problem. Fortunately I just explain it's a type of English collar and most people are fine. I used the method described by Jenny and it's worked fine. Also I put it on and then we played a game (indoors) and had a lot of treats. Now the halti = game/walk and or treat! :lol:

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Dylan had a gentle leader and he was quite good with it on his good days,but if he didn't want to wear it, then watch out,but at no time did i think it would hurt him or i would never have listened to my trainer and got one,

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
sorry but i TOTALLY disagree with this my 7yr old brandy now walks great on the halti/leader took me about say 3months roughly for her and me to get used to this but now i and she are happy with our walks there is NO pulling there is NO me screaming at her there is NO chafing under her legs from a body harness when she pulled there is just one happy brandy and her owner IF the leader was to hurt her of course i would not use it at all and thousands of other ppl that have bought it would also not use it sorry but the halti/leader is the best thing that has been given to me and again i thank the person who did she knows who she is :p :p

JULIE

hiya for the first week with brandy i put it on in the house and tryed to play and distract her..LOL.. which is easier said than done..lol. because of course its new brandy did paw it off a couple of times ok maybe loads of times..lol.. but eventually it stayed on for about 10mins with no probs..then when that was done i tryed with the lead again she was trying to paw it off again we stayed with it and manged to get out of the gate with out her trying to paw it off,,,,then came her rubbing her face against the fence or my legs and nearly killing me..lol..trying to get the halti off..lol.

but now she is great she is by my side tail wagging happy big brandy and happy me as i now have my arm back and can enjoy the walks :p everydog is different some will take to it quiet quickly others will take a bit of time but if you stick with it you will be happy GOOD LUCK :p

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi julie
well as you know i am now using the canny collar with max.
getting it on him was no problem as he was used to a halti. when i first used the halti i used the same method as jenny and after a few days he was fine with it.
as for it hurting a dog you know all of us well enough to know that we would NEVER use any thing that was going to cause our dogs any pain or discomfort.
little and often till brad gets used to it and i dont think you will have any problems :D

·
Registered
880 Posts
Edith said:
gentle leaders don't hurt the dogs, they guide them into a turn if they pull, it seems perfectly humane and reasonable, especially compared to things like choke chains which damage the dogs throat and have little effect on the dogs pulling, also unchecked pulling on a normal collar can damage a dogs throat, I would prefer my dos to walk harness less but until they can walk reliably without pullin they would wear harnesses. Ideally rich wouldn't wear his lupi but at the moment when he sees dropped food he'd strain to get it no matter what it is so by wearing a lupi hes saving his throat from damage and from any food etc he might try an eat and my from getting pulled out the wheelchair.
anna

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Clair
So glad to read you have had success with the Halti. I lost your thread on that one Regards Meg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are we talking about two different things here?

What is it, you call a GENTLE LEADER? Is it a Halti? If yes, that's perfectly fine! You just have to be very careful when using it as wrong usage ( as with everything) can lead to damage.

We have something that is called gentle leader and it is something that goes around the feet of the dog and his shoulders and pinches him every time he pulls.

Sorry, if there was a mistake

Edith

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
We have something that is called gentle leader and it is something that goes around the feet of the dog and his shoulders and pinches him every time he pulls
i dont think i have seen them are they only available in austria?

and im afraid if i had saw them i would definatly not buy them!

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, I don't think that they are just available in Austria, I've seen them in Germany as well and in the US too.

Sorry for the confusion :oops:

Edith

·
Registered
669 Posts
You really have to use it everyday and practise and praise a lot.

I tried it for a few months but I wasn't consistent enough with it and with two of them it was such a handful. We now really only walk off the lead.
They walk very well off the lead by my side but the same doesnt apply with the lead. I've become very strong and bet I could now challenge anyone to an arm wrestle! :)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your replies, you have all been great. :wink:

I've been trying all your tips, and am pleased to say that after just one day, he's getting used to it already. We put it on him earlier and he kept it on for 5 mins without trying to 'paw' it off :D

We'll let him get used to it this next week or so, and then we will be testing it out on wallks!

Can't wait!

Thanks again everyone, i'll keep you posted.

Julie

P.S Edith - don't worry you weren't to know...you're in another country and i know how different things can be. Thanks for your help. Julie :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

Just read this thread and I thought I would add my opinion.

Hatis, Head collars, Gentle Leaders etc. need be fitted correctly - as they are all different, please read the instructions properly! If possible try them on before you buy (or get an agreement that you can bring it back if it doesn't fit) They should not ride up over the eyes.

Allow time for the dog to get used to the new collar - put it on before meals (the should be able to eat with them on!), before playing with your dog, give loads of treats whilst he is wearing it - this will build up good associations with the collar. Only when the dog has accepted the collar should you use it.

Please don't use the head collar etc. like a check lead (I've seen it done!) but instead use your lead to guide the dogs nose back to your side (note if they pull too much they will have to turn their head) - again read the instructions!

Once your dog is walking nicely on the lead you can take the lead off the harness and clip it onto the normal collar (but still have your dog wearing the head collar) If your dog still walks ok you can you can stop using the harness - you might want to keep it for refresher training once in a while.

Keith

·
Registered
353 Posts
Glad to hear that Bradley is taking to his halti.

Clairiscrazy - great to hear that you got there in the end, I was worried that you would end up with long arms! :lol:

Walks with Scooby now are a pleasure, he only tries to paw it off when he sees another dog but luckily I've got the bit that clips to the collar for safety!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts