Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does anyone have Mary Ray obedience Puppy to Novice or Novice to crufts on DVD? Is it any good?

:D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I borrowed a Mary Ray puppy DVD from my trainer once - and it was useful (but then I think you always pick up something from any training session) but relatively basic. I'd probably try to borrow one if you can - as I'd rather spend my money on going to training days/weekends as I don't think you can beat hands-on advice.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do go training every week but none of them are crufts champions. I would like to get tips from the 'top dog' :lol:

I would prefer to borrow as it's about £25 to buy one. 8O

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
true re: crufts champions - I am lucky in that I can get some access to the top trainers - my trainer had Jenny Lunn run a session last year, Neil Short is coming later this year.

In addition, with my next dog, I hope to train with Kim Innes since she runs sessions at a (different) local training centre for a couple of days each month. The training centre has regular visiting trainers too.

I may invest in a couple of dvd's for my birthday in sept - if I do, then you're welcome to have a borrow.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tractorgirl said:
true re: crufts champions - I am lucky in that I can get some access to the top trainers - my trainer had Jenny Lunn run a session last year, Neil Short is coming later this year.

In addition, with my next dog, I hope to train with Kim Innes since she runs sessions at a (different) local training centre for a couple of days each month. The training centre has regular visiting trainers too.

I may invest in a couple of dvd's for my birthday in sept - if I do, then you're welcome to have a borrow.
You lucky thing! I did have a one to one with Jenny, but can't go to her group classes as it's during the day at a time I work.

What club do you go to? It's not near Kent by any chance??

Thanks for the offer of borrowing. :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
no - I'm in Suffolk. It's a newish club - but the woman who runs it is into her obedience! She is entirely to blame for getting me started.

Bet your 1-1 with Jenny was fun - I really warmed to her as I liked the straight talking. Mind you I was exhausted after her 'play' training!!!

The place that does the weekend courses with various trainers is:
http://www.petdogtrainingcentre.co.uk/forthcoming_events.html

I know people travel and stay on the campsite to attend courses

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tractorgirl said:
no - I'm in Suffolk. It's a newish club - but the woman who runs it is into her obedience! She is entirely to blame for getting me started.

Bet your 1-1 with Jenny was fun - I really warmed to her as I liked the straight talking. Mind you I was exhausted after her 'play' training!!!

The place that does the weekend courses with various trainers is:
http://www.petdogtrainingcentre.co.uk/forthcoming_events.html

I know people travel and stay on the campsite to attend courses
That's about a 2 hour drive for me. I've seen Lorraine's obedience, she is very good too.

Out of the top trainers you have seen, do they all use the same technique to start learning heelwork? Jenny taught me to do target training on my left hand with a clicker. Every time Jayda touches my left hand I click and treat until she keeps her nose on my hand for a longer time. I was wondering if the others do this too?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I'll check what technique Kim uses as a friend goes monthly with her pup. Kamal Fernandez used this approach too, as far as I can recall, he focuses on loads of static work for the first year mixed with enormously energetic play (also saw him at stonham - trying to pluck up courage to book a handler place for January with him with my minx!)

I have a few random notes from Kamal's last course - I can send them through to you - they might make an interesting read.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tractorgirl said:
I'll check what technique Kim uses as a friend goes monthly with her pup. Kamal Fernandez used this approach too, as far as I can recall, he focuses on loads of static work for the first year mixed with enormously energetic play (also saw him at stonham - trying to pluck up courage to book a handler place for January with him with my minx!)

I have a few random notes from Kamal's last course - I can send them through to you - they might make an interesting read.
Oh yes please! I want to learn to be the best! :lol: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts