Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get Bliss off Eukanuba because I don't like feeding BHA and BHT additives. Although I have to say she's looks good on it :? . Anyway after a lot of research I decided on Arden Grange but it didn't suit her digestion unfortunately. My second choice was Skinners so I contacted the company for suggestions and they recommended Field & Trial Duck & Rice.

I've never used duck based food before only chicken. Does this matter?

Also is it ok to feed this sort of food to a non-working dog? She used to be obese before being left in rescue so I watch her weight, although she's a lovely shape now. Skinners said to start her on 100g per 10kg bodyweight because of this.

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Skinners is a good food and can be fed to any dog - even those that don't work. Working dog food is usually VAT free (I think) hence the differential and the company saying its for working dogs.

Skinners know their food better than anyone I would imagine so why not try what they have suggested - duck instead of chicken shouldn't make any difference. In relation to the amount being fed - just keep an eye on her, if she starts to look fatter then cut down, and vice versa. I tend to feed by eye to be honest and only ever measure out the puppy food.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Excellent, have been seriously considering a change to Skinners myself so certainly think I've heard nothing but good about it.
Di

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Indy has been on Skinner's puppy for the past 6 weeks or so and is thriving on it. I'm going to swap her to the Duck & Rice in around a month and see how she goes. I would agree that Skinner's is a good food, Indy has a lovely shiny coat, has firm poos 80% of the time (depends what she's managed to get her little jaws round in the garden :roll: ) and seems generally well. I've not been religiously weighing it out, but have been measuring it in a fashion and she looks as she should, can't see her ribs but can feel them and she has a 'waist' :)

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Alfie has a sensitive tum, but is thriving on Skinners duck and rice. He doesn't work, has about 1.5 hours walk each day and is fed 340g per day. He maintains his weight of 31 kilos on this amount.

Prior to this, he had Burns and JWB, both chicken, but they didn't suit his tum and are twice the price.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
All my dogs are raised on Skinners Field and Trial and the only problem I ever had was when I made the mistake of putting Rocky on there Field and Trial Superior and it nearly blew his brain.

All my adult dogs are on Duck and Rice (whether working or not) and look brilliant on it and my litters are raised on Skinners Field and Trial Puppy.

The saving over Eukanuba is huge tooooooooooo 8O .

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Has anyone fed the Skinners Field & Trial Salmon & Rice 15Kg? If you have, I don't suppose you've also fed the Arden Grange salmon one? I'd be interested to hear how you think they compare.

I have started feeding some Arden Grange alongside the Naturediet and am pleased with the Arden Grange, but would be interested to hear about the Skinners salmon. It's not a muesli looking one is it?

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I think I have Angela. I couldn't get the duck and rice one day and had the salmon instead. I am pretty sure it is just brown balls like the duck and rice although more expensive. I have never fed Arden Grange so I cannot do the comparison for you, but if you go on the Skinners website they will send you a free sample :D .

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone that's really helpful.

Yes Jill I'll save a fortune, the Eukanuba costs me £40 for 15kg, £45 when I was feeding the light!!!

Well it sounds like everyone who's tried it has good things to say so I'll give it a go when this bag runs out. Glad to hear that non-working dogs do well on it too. Although Bliss gets plenty of exercise the only work she does is in our local pub where she works the room for crisps :wink: .

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have never used Skinners so I wont comment, but by the comments it looks good and is suitable for most Labs which is good. :D

If your concern is Duck, which to us is just chicken with a stronger taste and a bit fattier, not sure if the same applies to dog food :?

I use Dodson & Horrell - Chudleys Working Crunch. Which is Chicken.
As it is working it is also VAT excempt and you can get 15KG for just under £15 if you shop around.

The only reason I went for this one when I changed, is that the first ingredient in the list (which is supposed to be the main ingredient) is the chicken meat meal, where as some of the others I was looking at had wheat, or rice as the first in the list which usually act as fillers.

Mine all do very nicely on this, have managed to maintain Baileys weight to 23 KG (but she is small at only 19 inches tall). Also my collie who has a sensitive tum, now has nice poos.
But then again I also feed mine on 70% raw food, so I cant give the biscuit all the credit. :lol:

Sorry if I have now confused you........

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Another skinners fan here too, it's good stuff and cheap too - I shudder to recall how much I used to pay for Burns when I lived abroad (I think it was £65 a bag! eek!)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not yet, but when this bag of Royal Canin puppy stuff runs out in next couple of weeks, my two (non working dogs) are going to go on to Skinners as I've only heard good stuff about it on here. I've going to use the Crunchy stuff first as an intermediate step as the RC stuff is much higher protein than Skinners and I don't want to go straight on to the adult one as I think it is too dramatic a change (my pups are 10 and 7 months).

:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts