Labradors Forums banner

anyone can help to solve my pup lab problem?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  anando 
#1 ·
My pup lab of 4 months old likes to eat others food instead of dog food,everytime i have to hand feed him ,or he will refused to finish the food itself and he seems like reluctantly to finish his food,i need to take an hour to feed, so he looks like thin and unhealthy.How can i improve that so i dont need to hand feed him in future? The brand of the dog food is eagle pack's lamb and rice.What can i do to increase his appetite? My friend also have a golden retriever who also take this brand of dog food, but he seems like very enjoy the food itself,grow with fat and healthy.
And few weeks ago, i found that in his back leg got few bald spot,now is becoming more and more? how it this happen and how to prevent it? I love him very much, and i worry much more about it. Hope to hearing from your soon. Thanks a lot.

#2 ·
Hi babying,welcome to the forum,well first of all labbies love to eat any food that isnt suppose to be for them thats why most of them are known as dustbins,i havent heard of eagle pack is it american?labradors need the right food and maybe this is not the right food for your lab have you discussed it with your vet?he/she may be able to suggest a different diet after giving the pup a good check over, so the vet would be my first call,also ask them to check the bald spots as he could have an allergy or something,when you have a labrador you need to have a good vet,someone who you can discuss all your problems with,so please make an appointment and let us know what your vet says,Lynne,

#3 ·
Right.
Number one, cut out the "Non Dog" food.
Number two, how is your dog? A very large proportion of Labradors are over weight anyway so if you have one who is regulating his food intake then it's quite possible he is getting too much! How many meals are you giving him? I would be down to 3 meals now. How does he feel? Run your finger tips over him. I like to be able to feel the ribs, blurred by a layer of flesh. A hard edged feel to the ribs and he is too thin, ribs you have difficulty in feeling and he's too fat.

Personally I would not change his food at this time, at 16 weeks he needs stability and to change his food could upset his stomach and prevent him getting the goodness from the food.

Regards, John

#4 ·
Great to see you on the forum John. :D

Hi Babying
Assuming that he's healthy and was checked by your vet, hand feeding him and giving him other food will encourage him to be a picky eater. Personally, if food is not eaten within 20 minutes it's taken up. The choice is what they're given or nothing. It's remarkable how quickly they start eating again. A healthy labrador will not starve itself, and you don't want a 'fat' puppy as this can lead to all sorts of health problems.

#6 ·
HI
Welcome to the Forum. It is never a good idea to change a puppies food straight away, if it has to be done it needs to be done gradually.
I agree with lablover, do not hand feed a labrador, put the food down, pick it up after 20 minutes. Then wait until it is time for the next feed, he will soon learn and start to eat on a regular basis.
As regards the bald patches please seek Vet advice, it may need treatment, it is no good guessing at this sort of problems, they do need the expert.

#7 ·
this kind of problem can also be actually helped by a vet after thorough checkup is what i beleive. Still I dont htink hand feeding the pup is a good idea at all as he will become very fussy and it will be difficult fo ru in the future. Is ur food solid? What food was he on before this? did he like to have that? if yes mix ur earlier food with the newer food. He will be happy to eat it then . Slowly phase out ur older food with the newer one , once ur lab understands the smell and taste of the new one. If thats not the case I would strongly urge u 2 go to a vet but dont hand feed him much in any case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.