Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....please :D

As some of you may know (as I keep going on about it) we are in the process of rehoming a black lab bitch

Tomorrow is answer day really :D

My family have met her with no problems (I have a 5 year old and 3 year old) and we know a little of her past history as she is a rehome, not a stray.
She had a litter of puppies between 6-7 weeks ago and is now separated from them.....she is being checked over by vet tomorrow then has to meet my 2 year old lab bitch tomorrow afternoon......we can take her straight away if all goes well with both the meet and the vet :D

I'm sure they will give me a bit of info to go away with, but I would appreciate some advice from people who have rehomed before

She has lived in a home before, but has obviously been in kennels for a while whilst she had her pups

We have a few baby gates up in our house already, but I've put one at the bottom of the stairs again, Bailey isn't allowed upstairs and I don't want the new dog to try and get up there

The kids have had a talking to, about being calm around her, and I intend to treat her a bit like when Bailey was a pup, giving both the kids and the dog space from each other

I haven't got the crate out to use though, as we crated bailey as a pup, just a new soft bed (and she will be allowed snuggles on the sofa).....but I have got the crate in the garage if we felt it was needed

On a practical note too, should I worm/flea her when I get her home? She needs a good brush & bath too :D

I'm feeling really nervous, I'm excited and want everything to go well but feel a little scared too.....I want to give her the best home she can have, and I don't want to rush anything although I dying to do so much with her (think I will not sleep tonight :oops: )

Thanks in advance for advice :D

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
oh good luck Em, keep reading your other thread as was unsuer when D Day was. lol

Got everything crossed for you.

The only advice I would give to you is,

1. make sure your kids give her loads of space
2. ensure she has a safe place to go to if she feels she needs one
3. would seperate the dogs every now and then, so they have some time apart
4. would not give her a bath if possible for about a week, just so she can settle in first. she will have enough dramatic things going on adjusting to her new life with you.
5. let her take everything at her own pace
6. if she has been in kennels for a number of weeks, she may have a few accidents in the house, and possible needs house training again

sounds like you have everything under control though

lots and lots and lots of luck for tomorrow though. cant wait to hear how you all get on

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have to agree with Tammy's advice.
When we got Diesel we let him explore his new surroundings in his own time. We established where his food, water bowl and bed were and the garden.
We gave him a bone when he had calmed down and he just sat on his bed happily eating it. We took it very slowly with him. Although we took him out the first night we got him and let him off the lead. He was a star! :D

Good luck for tomorrow i hope all goes well

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
No tips or experience but what you say sounds fine to me!!

Just wanted to say good luck! I hope the 2dogs are comfortable together so we get some cutey photos tomorrow! Have my fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have only had Molly my cocker a few months and she was an ex breeding bitch. The advice that Tammy gave above was good.

Giver her some space when she 1st gets home to explore her new surroundings and just take the 1st few days easy as she probally will be a little shell shocked. Enjoy every minute of it though. I personally have found adopting Molly nearly as rewarding as helping Jess grow up.

I am sure she will love her new home after all her recent events. Good luck and make sure you post some pics of her in her new home. xx

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Advice, first of all breathe Em, you are mega excited (and who can blame you :wink: )

Be yourself and enjoy when you have her home :wink:

SO SO SO SO happy for you :D

Edited to say, great advice from people who know before :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for some great advice :D

I have my camera batteries on charge ready for tomorrow :D

I'm looking forward to tomorrow evening, once the kids are in bed and there is just me, Bailey and our new girl.....I love this time with Bailey, she is snuggled next to me on the sofa as I type, whilst I'm on the laptop

I'm just hoping that it all goes to plan tomorrow.......I will update as soon as I find out :D

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Congratulations Em and good on you for taking on a rescue - they are the best!!

I can only echo the advice given already, give her as much time and space as she needs, and save baths, worming and lots of new people for such time in the future that she is ready for them.

I know your dogs have already met, but as it will be different on home turf, treat it as a new introduction. I tend to shut my lot in the house and let the new dog loose in the garden to sniff around and get their scent, have a wee, take a deep breath and settle a little after the journey. I then introduce them one at a time, on or off lead depending on how I think it'll go, and I wouldn't step in unless there was a real problem (which there hasn't been so far thank goodness). Once everyone is getting along nicely in the garden, I open all the doors and let the dogs spill in and out of the house, so that the new dog doesn't feel trapped at any point and I make sure there are water bowls both outside and inside.

I think getting this initial introduction right is so important, as it can set the tone for future relationships between the dogs. I'd probably encourage the children to watch from the house if possible, just to start with.

Your friends will all want to meet her I'm sure, but try to stagger visits and not have a big noisy houseful of people for her to contend with!

Make sure she knows where her things are, bed, water, garden and something nice to chew and ...

Enjoy her!

Looking forward to photos.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
No advice as have only ever got 1 rescue and he was a pup, wishing you loads of luck for tomorrow though and looking forward to seeing pics of your new girl :D

Oh just one thing, try not to push Bailey`s nose out of joint by giving all your attention to your new girl, I know you won`t mean to do that but it may happen :)

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Good luck for today, thinking of you, I know how excited we were picking up Tara and then Molly, also the nerves..how will everyone get on? will they settle?

Follow the excellent advice you have been given here and you really can't go wrong x

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
littlelab said:
Good luck for today, thinking of you, I know how excited we were picking up Tara and then Molly, also the nerves..how will everyone get on? will they settle?

Follow the excellent advice you have been given here and you really can't go wrong x
Thank you......I haven't taken my eyes of the clock this morning.....I am so excited and nervous

My children have been invited out to play this morning round at a friends, so we are all going there, I am glad as it will definatley pass the time

I've got to ring the home at 11:30 to see how the vet check went, he will say if she can come home today or have to stay in a little longer......either way they have said that Bailey can go over and meet her after 1pm........really hope we can bring her home today though, it's been awful not seeing her between saturday and now

Ooooo I have everything crossed that today will go well :D

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Ooh how exciting for you. The very best of luck today and I hope she settles in well. I am sure she will as it sounds like you have a lovely home for her.

Looking forward to seeing your new addition. :D

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Good luck, hope all goes well, you've had great advice :flower: I think giving them some space (if they want it!) and not overwhelming them with lots of new people for a few days while they settle is good.

It can sometimes take a little while to work out their toileting habits, so I tend to treat them like an overgrown pup in that respect and take them out regularly - though not as regularly as a little pup - but before and after eating, after sleeping, playing etc. Sometimes even a very well toilet trained dog will have a few accidents initially as they get used to their new environment and you get used to knowing when they need to go.

I also tend to remove toys/bones when they first come home and closely supervise feeding times (or even feed separately initially) as that sort of thing is the most likely to trigger a disagreement. Mine don't really have their own beds as they mostly use our sofa/armchairs and no-one else goes into my collie's crate, but I also watch them around sleeping areas to make sure there are no guarding issues. Just precautions really to make things less stressful for everyone.

Oh and you may well find after a day or so, that whatever toy/bone one has, the other wants :lol:

Having more than one dog is just great :D

A

·
0 Posts
No advice I'm afraid, just wanted to wish you lots of luck for today!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I will echo what has already been posted about the introductions in the back garden (I follow the EXACT same process as Helen) and also seperate feeding areas like Angela posted.

Rupert has been with us for 3 weeks already and he still gets fed in the utility room away from my two - I'm just about ready to put them all in one room, but thought he'd prefer the space for a bit longer while he's still tender and post-op. I figure as long as nobody ever has to defend their food or a toy then there won't be anything to fight over - so they all get the same toy, and they all get fed apart. It works, we don't have squabbles! :)

Also another thing to think about is enforcing house rules right from the moment she arrives. If you have a "no dogs on the furniture" rule, or not upstairs, then enforce it right from Day 1 - there's nothing more confusing than being allowed on the sofa one day, to not being allowed up the next day.

Oh, and we don't allow any squabbling over chews/pigs ears etc - if anyone growls at someone else then they all get their treats taken off them.

I hope all goes well with the vet check and you're able to bring her home today!

Ness

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've only ever had rescue pups so all I can advise is - enjoy :) Looking forward to the photos.

Karen & Sasha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts