Labradors Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Not me. Penny is a mix of both working and show lines. On the working side she has Ged Leeson's Pintail Hector of Styleside. As yet there has never been a chocolate Field Trials Champion in the UK, but Pintail Hector certainly came the closest with 1 Open FT win, a 2nd and several third places. Sadly he never got his second win! On the show side you have several Lougin dogs bred by Brian and Trish Parrot.

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
Nor me. 🤣🤣

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not me. Penny is a mix of both working and show lines. On the working side she has Ged Leeson's Pintail Hector of Styleside. As yet there has never been a chocolate Field Trials Champion in the UK, but Pintail Hector certainly came the closest with 1 Open FT win, a 2nd and several third places. Sadly he never got his second win! On the show side you have several Lougin dogs bred by Brian and Trish Parrot.
Oh thats interesting re Penny being a mix of both working and show lines as thats news to me. She came to me as a working Labrador and she does look more like a working Labrador than a show Lab, the latter I'm thinking, are taller and bulkier? She has caught a pheasant while we were walking in Wales and was holding it in her mouth. I wished I had not left my mobile recharging behind or I would have taken a photo of her with the pheasant as it happened in a beautiful rural spot. I told her to drop it, which she did and it flew off! Phew!

Is Ged Leeson's Pintail Hector of Styleside related to Pechasi Hazel Nut of Fallowfen aka Jim? As I'm new to the forum and also Labradors as a breed, can you please explain what is Lougin or what Lougin means? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
I’m guessing Lougin is an affix (kennel name).

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Nor me either, but just to add to John's info about Pintail Hector, I did see footage of him working in the IGL retriever championship, and he was so unlucky to be put out, sent after a hen pheasant that had tucked herself well under some bracken, and failed to recall after not finding her initially. He did find her and made the retrieve, but was put out for not recalling.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Is Ged Leeson's Pintail Hector of Styleside related to Pechasi Hazel Nut of Fallowfen aka Jim?
Great grandsire.
can you please explain what is Lougin or what Lougin means? Thanks.
Lougin is the affix belonging to Trish and Brian Parrot. They are breeders living quite close to me. I've seen most of theid dogs over the years because they bring them to the canine eye testing I organise.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
If you click on the above you can enlarge it large enough to read it.

If you look on the back line you will see a dog "Morningtown Stormtrooper." Stormtrooper's dam was Morningtown Toblar. Toblar had 3 pups of note, the male Stormtrooper and two females, Morningtown Stormette and Morningtown Stormchoc of Rosetyne. Stormchoc was the dam of my Beth, the lightest of the two in this photo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you click on the above you can enlarge it large enough to read it.

If you look on the back line you will see a dog "Morningtown Stormtrooper." Stormtrooper's dam was Morningtown Toblar. Toblar had 3 pups of note, the male Stormtrooper and two females, Morningtown Stormette and Morningtown Stormchoc of Rosetyne. Stormchoc was the dam of my Beth, the lightest of the two in this photo.

View attachment 26609
Yes I can see Morningtown Stormtrooper on the back line, which means she was Penny's ancestor, on her dam's side? And also Aughacasla Sam of Drakeshead is Penny's ancestor on her sire's side?

Was Cusses Girl a Show Lab or a mix of both Show and Working? How do you tell which ancestor was a Working/Show Lab?

I've been told that Penny was something of an escape artist in climbing out of her litter pen and exploring the house while the rest of her siblings were content to stay put with their mother.

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
What does F= and R= stand for? Front and Rear? Hip scores?
Dont worry about the "F" and "R", they are to do with family relativity The software I use is Australian and these could be used by breeders to determine which of the ancestors might be the most dominant. But I've modified the software several times and never bothered to re-implement it.

Was Cusses Girl a Show Lab or a mix of both Show and Working? How do you tell which ancestor was a Working/Show Lab?
Cusses Gorse Girl was pretty much solid show lines. As to how you can tell, it's down to knowledge of the breed and the breeders. I know many of these breeders and quite a few of the dogs. When you look at Pechasi Hazel Nut of Fallowfen, he is largely working lines. There are a few show dogs in there, but most of which were although show dogs were also worked. For example, towards the back you will see some dogs with the affix Charway. This was the affix of the late Janice Pritchard. She also worked her dogs and was a friend of Kate Smith who's affix is Ardenbrook. When Janice died Kate took some of her dogs into her kennel. Amongst those dogs was Charway Summer Rain. I had the honour of showing Rain in the gamekeepers ring a Crufts. You dont actually have Rain in your pedigree, but you do have several dogs related to her.

Sorry, I just love pedigrees, and actually I can take your dog's line right back to 1870.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts