Labradors Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was just curious if there were any other Riversway puppies out there?

Lotti was sired by Raven.

Ruby

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wylye is gorgeous! How old is he? Photos of Lotti (14wks) below (hopefully!):

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Oh she's a poppet Ruby :love7:. You must be very pleased with her. I'm guessing she likes retrieving? :wink:

Wylye is 10 and a half months, or thereabouts!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. She's more into chewing the toys than retrieving them at the moment - she's just starting teething. I haven't done much fetch/retrieve work as I was concerned about her joints being so young - but have been working on sit, stay, heel, recall, etc. and finding safe outlets for those little teeth :) Half-brother/Sister - I can see similarities in their coats and faces. Lotti is due to meet another half-brother soon who lives locally - will hopefully get a photo.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yep - my second, Rufus is Wylye's brother (above).

Haven't been on here for ages :oops: - will post some pictures later.

John

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi - yes please do post a photo I'd love to see him. Ruby

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
what a handsome lad :D

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Not a puppy, but Fife is Riversway Apollo, from the first litter Graham bred. Now aged 10. Litter brother to Ft Ch Ace.

Best boy ever born, my Fife! Now passing his wonderful genes down to his two sons, Ash and Oak! Check out Riversway website for more info all this marvellous line http://fp.rennolds.f9.co.uk/riversway/

Love the photos of all the relations - such a good looking line too!!

Katy

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi John,

Thank you. Rufus is gorgeous - so handsome. Fab to see.

Ruby

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi,

George was sired by Raven and will be 4 months old on Thursday. Sounds about the same age as Lotti. Who was the Dam, could be the same or one of the other breeders/litters we were looking at.

George is going to have Raven's good looks I think. He's a bold, outgoing young man!! Which is a bit of a problem at the moment as if he sees a dog or person within up to 70 metres he runs over to greet them, which can be a problem if they are children or when trying to avoid rough playing (for joint care etc)

Went to his first obedience class last night - chaos! He was far too distracted to do much. The main 'problems' we have is pulling and biting on the lead as well as running up to people/other dogs.

The trainer said 'Oh he's teething', being a novice I hadn't noticed any difference to the amount of chewing etc he does. Is yours - do you do anything special

George is a lovely boy though

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Labnick,

Yes - Lotti is 4mths on Thursday as well. The dam was Sika. I'll have to post some new pics soon, but I think Lotti's taking after her mother more at the moment - she's got quite a slight build although tall, and I think she's quite calm for a puppy (although she's my first puppy so hard to judge). She very pretty, and has a gentle manner. She's taken a month to get used to walking outside and was quite apprehensive to start with, so we've avoided busy areas. In the last few days those nerves have subsided so we're going to start to go to busier places. She has started to jump up sometimes when she sees someone, but generally she's quite calm. I haven't had her off the lead yet, although we've used a long training lead - mainly because she's still apt to being scared and panicing and also becuase I'm concerned about her joints.

Lotti had her 3rd class yesterday, last time she was overexcited but this time she was much calmer. I think with each class they get more desensitised. But then I suspect adolescence will also play a role..... we've had the odd ' if you think I'm going to do that mother.......' look - but I'm more stubborn than her :)

Pulling on the lead is becoming an issue as she grows in confidence. I'm currently stopping everytime she pulls and guiding/encouraging her back to my side before we walk again. She didn't really get it, but with time hopefully she'll learn that pulling doesn't work. I tried changing directions - but that seems to confuse her more. She does at times hold the lead - but I just ignore her and keep walkign and she lets go.

Lotti is definately teething - chew chew chew :) She's lost her two front teeth top and bottom, although the new top ones are now in place.

Lottis' main issues have been her nervousness about walking in the outside world, and her early morning awkening - the later being the worst! We're now at 6.30am which is a lot better than 5.30am, but still on a weekend it's not great.

George sounds more like my other lab Ben. To him the world and everyone in it is just fabulously exciting and he just wants to embrace it all - literally! :) Your experience of dog training sounds just like ours with Ben. Maybe it's a boy dog thing?

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's amazing! George's dam is Sika as well. Small world

We were lucky to get one of Beth's puppies and her litter was definately the one we wanted a Pup from. Beth was really good and helpful, the temperament seemed right for a first dog and she'd had all the tests done.

George hasn't lost any teeth yet, but is certainly a powerful chewer. Even my clothes which I guess is something I should stop - could be because I sometimes sit on the floor playing and my clothes are the most interesting thing.

He jumps up and we having been trying for ages with the 'Off' command

Think part of it all a bit of a boy thing or my inexperience. He certainly 'tries it on' sometimes which is tough as you feel you are saying no all the time - but I know I must persist

Are you going to do gundog/field trial work - I want to. But it's hard where I live to find somewhere quiet e.g. without other dogs, distractions and to save his joints etc

Would be good to keep in touch to see how things go as we have a brother and sister between us

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's so cool!!! Beth was an absolute star, we couldn't have asked for a better breeder.

Yes - several of my clothes have holes - although from Lotti jumping up rather than chewing. I have some old rags which I soak in water and then freeze, and I let her chew on those to help her gums - which seems to help. Plus she has Ben's tail to chew on!!! I sit on the floor as well, but think I get off lightly as Ben (my 6yr lab) gets most of the bad behaviour - bless him, he's so good.

Ben and I have a constant battle for leadership - I let my guard down for a moment and next thing he's trying to be top dog. The sticky notes on the puppy section are v good on this. The hardest I find is ignoring them at times when they come to you for attention - and when you first come home - so hard but it does help them to learn that they're not top dog and helps keep them calmer. I lavish them in praise when we're training/playing and at other random times to make up for it. I try to remember to praise as much as possible the good calm behaviour - so after I've said 'no' if she walks off and sits down quietly then that gets praise.

I love the idea of gundog training - I think it would be fantastic for her. I'm ex veggie - and still not good on such things - so I need to find some such thing without the actual shooting. I've continued Beth's whistle training - I still blow the whistle at every meal, and use it for some recall. I work on various commands such as sit, stay, lay , flat (lay on side), roll, off, take, heel, etc. and do this in different locations, e.g. park, garden, street, to help install them. She loves it as not only does she get flakes of bonio biscuits but I respond to her correct behaviours as if she's just done the most wonderful thing in the world. It makes you look silly - but they absolutely love it. It's a real bonding thing as well as learning. I'm thinking of getting John's book on gundog training - it advertised on here somewhere, even just to do some of the exercises. We're v rural which makes things easier - but most I just do in the back garden.

Yes -we must keep in touch - I'll post some more photos soon.

Ruby

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some more photos - taken a week ago at 4mths old.

However Lotti changes almost daily. She's now starting to look quite muscley, especially around her shoulder blades. More like a mini lab and less like a puppy every day. But still v cute.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts