Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

ive had my pup since saturday and i brought the wee wee pads for her, ans she has been good using them and newspaper.. but have run out of them at the moment.. now she seems to be holding herself untill she can come into the front room and doing her business on the carpet today.. any ideas y this might be?

Any help would be great..

Thanx

Laura

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi - just wondering if you could pop outdoors for a bit before you head into the front room? We didn't do paper or pad training so I really don't know what else to suggest other than frequent trips out. Hopefully some other folks will have some ideas for you. Good luck with the housetraining - it does get better! :D

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Laura,

We also used the pads (couldn't use newspaper he kept eating it)

Harvey is now 4 1/2 months and house trained, but looking back I think we delayed things a bit. First he learnt to go on the mats, and then we had to teach him to go out.

I think the best way is to keep putting your pup out, as just mentioned. You do get the odd accident, but it does get better I promise.

Good luck
Fay

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Laura
I still think the old method of putting the puppy outside, when it wakes and every 1 to 2 hours and always after meals. Stay with the puppy and lots of praise when they do their toilet.
Obviously you may need to put newspaper down when you leave the puppy for a short while, but it is never a good idea to put newspaper or wee pads down where you do not want accidents.
Puppies are like children some take a lot longer to potty train than others, it is just patience that will pay off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx everyone for your advice, i will keep trying then, and hopefully she wil be gud soon lol

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi laura
i used the old fashioned method of putting max out side. i got him at 8 wks old, by 12 wks he was clean and dry all day and by 16 wks he was clean and dry at night as well :D it was hard work to start but well worth the effort. sice he was 16 wks i have only had one accident in doors and that was my own fault for not taking notice when he asked to go out :oops: you soon get to know the signs. if he wants out to play he scratches the floor by the door. if its "bizzy" he wants then he will come to me and cry then go to the door sit down and cry.
patience and praise is the name of the game :D

jane and max

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi laura

yep i think good ol fashioned out you go puppy every hour or 2 will do the trick :)
but if your puppy is like my dog.. if its raining you have to drag him out to go the toilet..lol..or if its very windy again you have to drag him out and he is 6yrs old now..LOL..LOL..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Toilet training

Hi Laura

I took two weeks off work when I got my pup and she was house trained by the end of it (a few mistakes here and there !) One trick I learnt was that she can smell the last place she went so you would do well to give the carpet/floor a good clean to get rid of the smell. Don't use an ammonia based product though!

Also a tip I was given was to put her food bowl down in the area she was weeing in, I fed Scout two meals in the lounge and she never did it again. Just get her into a routine and give lots of praise when she goes outside. Also teach her a key word like 'hurry up' when you are outside - she will learn very quickly what you want her to do.

·
Registered
364 Posts
One tip I have heard is to use a soda syphon on the spot where a pup has wet .. apparantly works better then any propriety cleaner to prevent repeated wetting on that spot

I used the method of taking Harvey out every hour or so, seemed to work well as he was dry by 12 weeks ... or so I thought! .. today, having not had an accident for 3 months, he suddenly,without warning, piddled in the lounge! ... baffling! :?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts