Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four days ago Cooper, our four year old crazy black lab, was sick twice in the evening. Nothing too unusual or concerning there as he was fine in himself and still as much a lunatic as ever.

Three days ago (Saturday) it was a very different matter - came down in morning to take him and his big Sis out for their walk and Coops promptly threw up a big puddle of thick, bright red blood in the hallways. Went into the sitting room and it looked like a Halloween horror film with bile and blood having been sicked up everywhere.
Straight to emergency vets where they took bloods, did an Ultra Sound and Xrays - so far (blood test results awaited) they've found nothing at all after 6 hours at the vets and just over a grand later. On the way out of the vets he poo'd up a very bloody stool (dark red / black).
I stayed up all night Saturday and he was very disconcerted, restless etc and didn't sleep much at all.... I put that down to the sedation for the xray and they also clipped his claws which he hates (hence using sedation)

Last two days he's made a slow, very slow recovery and today started eating again (chicken) and getting a bit of brightness back but still quite mopey and lethargic. We were quietly pleased with his progress and thought in a week or so we'd have our boy back and could start walking him again.

Now, about two hours ago, he's started limping quite heavily on his front left leg!!!!
I'm now besides myself! Obviously he's not been out and not pushed himself at all - just been resting.
Could this be related? What could it be? Any advice what to do next?
I'm due to hear from the vets tomorrow on the test results so will obviously ask them as well.

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
Four years old is rather young for the obvious very serious problem, so if I had to make a guess I'd say Pancreatitis. Another possibility would be Hemorrhagic Gastritis ulcers. But I can see no connection to a limp, particularly a limp on a foreleg! Are you sure that was not simple due to laying on it a bit funny, leg gone to sleep? I'd be interested to hear what your vet has to say. Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John - definitely not stiff legs due to him laying around too much........ kept a very close eye on him tonight and he's 100% limping. The odd thing is it seems to almost be both front legs.

I am hoping it's where they have cut his claws when he was sedated and as the sedation has fully worn off he's now in discomfort. He absolutely HATES anyone touching his front paws and as a result has had claw issues; I'm just confused as to why that would take 48 hours to manifest itself.

He's still very poorly - that much I do know.
His demeanor is only 30% of his normal, he's depressed, lethargic and restless.
The smells coming out of his rear are indescribable and when he burps it's like a dozen of the most rotten eggs you can imagine. From my own human gastro issues I'm guessing that the internal issue will be gastric (acid reflux GORD) but how that links with the internal bleeding I don't know -- ruptured vessel when vomitting maybe? If so then surely he needs an op? When I had a massive upper G.I bleed I needed emergency surgery to basically save my life with two duodonal clips repairing the stomach tear I had........ that scares the s**t out of me as I could be sitting here watching my boy slip away.

Blimey they put you through it sometimes these lovely hounds!

Thanks for your response by the way, much appreciated as always

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
Limping on both legs could well be a pain in the body. But I would have expected that to show more in the hind than fore. But then, it could be a reflected pain. Interestingly I had a pain in my left calf. I saw my doctor last Monday and she sent me straight to hospital. To cut a long story short, after a scan a blood clot was found in my thigh, nearly two foot from where the pain was!

The internal bleeding could be ulcers??

·
Registered
925 Posts
Can't offer any advice but just wanted to send best wishes and hugs to Cooper. xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts