Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're off to a family BBQ tomorrow in thetford which is about an hours drive from us.

Rueben has only ever done short trips in the car (20 minutes tops) and I've always sat in the back with him. He has no problems with the car at all and travels well.

This time he will be wearing a car harness and sitting in the back with my son. (OH recently got a new car which is a sporty little number and as it's quite little in the back I won't fit! :oops: )

Anyway, my question is, is there anything I need to do with regards to feeding times etc. Any tips anyone has will be much appreciated!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It sounds as though he will travel well. Marley's car harness doesnt bother him at all.

Only thing is though I would take a towel just in case the longer journey upsets him, dog sick goes a long way as I discovered!!!

Jayne x

·
Registered
309 Posts
drive

Not sure what age Ruben is but if an adult then an hr is no problem without toilet breaks. Just let him out for 10min or so before you go away to let him relieve himself and that should solve that problem. If he manages 20min without car sickness then an hr will most likely be no problem at least on the way there. Watch for other guests providing titbits from the bar-b-q which could cause a tummy upset on the journey home. May be worthwhile checking the route and have an idea of a potential halfway point where you can safely stop to let him out for a few min should he become unsettled. Let a window down slightly for lots of fresh air and maintain a sensible speed in that new sporty number lol,

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, should have said that Rueben is 7 and a half months.

Will definitely take an old blanket for him to lay on (OH has inisisted on it to protect the leather seats in his new midlife crisis.... sorry I mean car :wink: :lol: ) Hopefully he'll be ok!!

He normally has his breakfast around 7am would it still be ok to give that to him? (We're setting off at about 11am). I was then going to take just a few kibbles for treats and a light lunch, then feed him once we are home again in the evening. I'll also make sure to keep an eye on the titbit feeding too!

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Glad you decided to go :D have a nice time Im sure Rueben will be fine :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jacky, I'm going to give it my best shot...... here's hoping!!

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Mine quite often have brekkie at all sorts of weird and wonderful hours - toilet and then go straight in the car. Even with my pups, we take them on relatively long journeys quite early on (the journeys home have been as long as 5 hours in some instances) - TBH - other than ensuring they are safe - I don't do anything special for them - it's going to be part and parcel of their everyday lives once they hit six months and start showing

Hope you enjoy your BBQ

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Feeding him at 7 and then travelling at 11 should be fine. If it was Luna she'd be sooooo excited at being with other people that I may have skipped lunch at that age just in case of sickies but she is always prone to being sick if excited around meal times! If Rueben's a calm boy he'll be fine!! There is a thread somewhere on here about BBQ food to watch out for - no tomatoes, onions, corn cobs off the top of my head.

I'm sure you'll all be fine and I'm so pleased you've decided to go! Luna tends to go to sleep on any journey longer than 20mins so I hope Ruebs does too. A little play in the garden with a ball and a wee before travelling when she was young used to ensure she was calm in the car!!!

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'm sure he will be fine. Rufus went all the way to the French Alps in a car harness at 13 months with no problem and very few breaks. If he's not usually car sick, there's no reason why an hour would be different from 20 mins. Just be careful of the tipbits at the BBQ as others have said. This would be more of a reason for upset tummy than the car journey.

Have fun and don't worry.

Yvonne

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Anita

I share the emotions of others - soooo glad that you have decided to go to the BBQ and hope the weather is good for you guys...

I'm sure Rueben will be absolutely fine - particularly since he is next to his bro for the whole journey who is bound to stroke him and give him some loves....

Have a great time!

x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts