Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello has anyone had any experience with a lab crossed with a jack russell terrier please And if so could you please tell me what they are like own Thank-you

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I met this little fella today and thought lab x russell not sure though did`nt ask but i may be put right by someone.

I fell for him big time so lovable just wanted to cuddly him :D

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Well a 'jackador' as the owner called it did come to our class for about 2 weeks and it was a little bugger but that could just have been the owner's fault I suppose they didn't seem keen and certainly didn't come to class for long enough to actually improve. I wouldn't fancy one myself I always think with a cross consider the bad points of both breeds and check you'd be ok with a dog displaying all of those so often people just look at the good and assume the cross will only display the 'best' of both which isn't necesaarily the case. Having said that each dog is an individual so if you've say been to a rescue centre and met this dog you can judge what he/she is like and ask them questions and find out about it as an individual then its up to you if that will fit with your life and if you can be happy together. Good luck whatever you decide. :)

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
There a a few Labrador/JRT x's that I have known in the past, great characters, but of course anything that has terrier in will be little buggers unless trained properly and taught manners from the start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the info just to let all know that we have had our beloved lab for the last 15years But sadly had to have her put down 2mths ago We just wanted to know what a cross breed would be like We do have a little jrt that grew up with our lab And he has a great temperment can be grumpy tho But hubby would like another lab it was just a thought..

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
That dog has such a cute face, I wouldn't be able to resist cuddling it either. I've had a jack russel, mine was a feisty one when we got her as she was a rescue. With training though she was an amazing and loyal dog and I loved her bits. She was such a character. I wouldn't be worried at all about having a crossbreed, I adore 'Heinz 57's.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Be nice if you can, not to actively encourage this sort of cross breeding by looking for someone who deliberately produces these very uneven sized and tempermented crosses... BUT that said if you already KNOW of a litter or are considering such a cross from rescue i imagine they would be a fiesty, strong minded, pretty independent but quite loyal dog to own. As the others say, it would be training CITY to get it biddable and 'with you' if they take even an ounze of the Jack Russell terrorist side of the cross, but if you are dedicated to that you could probably get somewhere.

Might be better to just stick to a Labrador from a good breeder unless you are giving a little unfortunate fella a home from rescue.

If you decide to go the labrador route i hope this link may help you in selecting a breeder from the hundreds out there for our breed:

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-27456.html

Di

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yes that's a good point, I didn't clarify. I wouldn't actively search out a breeder who breeds designer dogs. I'm talking about accidental matings and rescue dogs as until now i have only ever had rescue dogs. I have had a lot of what 'mutts' ( said very endearingly) and they've made wonderful pets and I find it interesting to see their different characters evolve. Maybe I was lucky but they definitely seemed like they were robust health wise as well. When I decided to get a pedigree, this dog is my first. I did a lot of research into the breeders as and make sure I was happy with all the answers I received. I then waited a year for the puppies to be born. I had to be very strong and not look at any puppies because i would want them all, especially if there was something wrong with them and I thought no one else would love them.I did all this to make sure that I had the best possible odds in my favour for temperment and health etc. Buster was bought for my son, now 19 he wanted to train him soley and i wasn't allowed to have any input . He wanted a shooting companion. I thought it best to get a dog that was easily trained and biddable and you never quite know what you are getting with a Heinz 57.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I've met one lab x jrt at Merlin's vet party. She was sweet but an extreme live wire. From the circumstances however, it appears her owners had been 'scammed' into her. I can't remember the type of cross they were expecting when they bought her, but she certainly wasn't it!

She was very bonny, but a bit too 'terrier' for my liking.

Not sure that a lab x jrt is the best combo, you can get stubbornness and headstrong behaviour from both sides, plus the keenness to follow a scent from the lab and the b*ggering off skills of the terrier.

My friend has a BC x Norfolk terrier, he is adorable, and very smart with clicker, but he favours his terrier side and has such a poor recall and a tendency to disappear that she is constantly stressed when she has him out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello has anyone had any experience with a lab crossed with a jack russell terrier please And if so could you please tell me what they are like own Thank-you
I have a lab/russell mix. He's 6 months old. A lot of energy, I know everyone says this, but the guy is restless, he wants to be wherever you are however, if you leave the room or house, he chills out and has never shown any signs of separation anxiety. I will do bullet point of pros and cons so I dont end up writing a novel.

Cons:
  • Not a second alone, needs to be on you all the flipping time when you're home
  • Doesnt know when he needs to sleep..will stick around you even if he's tired
  • Plays aggressive with cats, though he's playing the cats dont appreciate it
  • Barks if left outside in the garden
  • Pulls when walked, but working on this
  • Jumps on people and dogs in playful manner

• Loves walks in forest
  • Sleeps through the night...never any issues with sleep and lasts all night from the first week onward.
  • No anxiety..never loud when I returned from work, left alone for up to 6 hours already and no negative sign
  • Loving and playful with kids...over the top sometimes...
  • Easy enough to train
  • Understands quite fast but still insists on trying to get away with it
  • Loves to fetch...the return part we're still working on...
  • Friendly with other dogs..though well socialized from the start
  • Will do and learn anything as long as there are snacks involved
  • Friendly with strangers..in fact friendly with everything and everyone.
  • Understands that he's not allowed in my bedroom....still tries occasionally..grrrr...

·
Administrator
20,396 Posts
The problem with any cross is that you don't know which side of the bed he will take after. Some traits will be inherited from the Labrador and some from the Jack Russell, so no two are likely to be exactly the same.

John :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brilliant Jackadors

Knowing we were looking for our next dog, a neighbour brought the last two totally unplanned puppies from a Jack Russell mum who was visited in the night by a yellow Lab dad from the neighbouring farm home for us to see. Instant love! Two fantastic boys with great characters. Demanding, yes, but excellent companions, full of fun and affection - not just for us but also for each other. Both are black with white blazes on their chests. One has inherited more terrier characteristics than the other, but both are, of course unique and we wouldn't change them.

·
Administrator
20,396 Posts
Oh dear. That could have so easily ended up with the death of the bitch! To very dissimilar in size, and with the bitch being the smaller, if the pup had taken after the sire in size it would likely have been too big to be born alive and also the bitch could have died trying!

OK, this was a accident, but if known about early enough the sensible thing would have been to abort the bitch. It's not worth risking the life of the bitch. Trouble is, some stupid people are deliberately trying to breed these dogs. To me that is cruelty and the people concerned should be prosecuted under the animal welfare act.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understand what you are saying but I think you are being a bit harsh. Yes, this was an accident but a very fortunate one for us and no harm came to the bitch who we understand went on to have at least one further unplanned litter by another dog (She has a reputation!). The pups were introduced to us just after we returned from visiting a breeder as we were actually considering getting a black Lab. Lots of nice looking pups but no sparkle. So we ended up with two Jackadors - a cross breed totally unknown to us at the time.

·
Administrator
20,396 Posts
GuinDob. When it comes to getting pregnant, dogs do not have reputations, dog owners have reputations. And it would appear that the owner of that bitch has earned a bad one. Sorry, once might be an accident, twice is irresponsible. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
JohnW. As well as being a bit harsh I also think you're also being unnecessarily accusatory. We met the owner of the bitch on a couple of occasions so that we could inspect the pups, their parents and the owner. The pups and the bitch were extremely well homed in the owner's house (not caged in a separate shed as had been the case with the breeder we had visited previously), were very well looked after and the bitch normally had the run of the farm. In that environment, it's very difficult to keep an eye on the bitch all the time unless, of course, she's restrained in some way 24 x 7. As for the comment regarding reputation, well perhaps a sense of humour would have helped?
The reason I joined this forum is because Google led me to it when searching for 'Jackador' and I wanted to share my delight with our two lads. Maybe I should not have done so?

·
Administrator
20,396 Posts
The owner has twice now, that you know of, allowed an in season bitch get pregnant. That is carelessness in the extreme. Many of us keep bitches, my self included. In my case I've had bitches for the last 47 years without any unplanned litters. There is simply no excuse for it happening twice. That is an irresponsible breeder. (And before you say, anyone who breeds a litter is by definition a breeder.) As for a sense of humour, no, in that particular case I have not because I find nothing funny about the situation. I'm glad you are happy with your two and hope things continue to go well for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 18 month old lab jack russel x. She is the most loving well behaved little dog. She is clever and needs very little training to learn to new skills. Shes very affectionate and gentle around adults and children and social with other dogs. Shes playful when we are out on walks but equally likes to chill out at home. I couldnt ask for a better dog and wouldnt change her for the world. I guess it just depends what traits they pick from each breed :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts