Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for a litter of pups to be born for a good while. The parents are just the mix of pedigree I have been looking for, however there were only two dog pups in the litter. I am a bit concerned about the lack of sibling interaction and all that goes with it, I.e. Interactive play, learning to deal with frustration,
Perfecting play skills etc, If there was only a singleton pup I would walk away. Does anyone have any experience of small litter size and any differences therefore in pup behaviour.?

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
I understand your fears, but personally, if I liked one of the pups I'd not hesitate. My friend had a singlton, (Lucy did everything the easy way!) and she kept him herself. Trev made a wonderful dog, very well balanced and no problem.

Regards, John

·
Registered
123 Posts
Scooby was a single pup and it really has made no difference at all. Understandably when he sees a new dog for the first time he used to get very excited, but dont they all?.

The breeder was very very good with him, not letting him nip etc.

Its a personal decision, im sure there are negative points and positives.

One thing we were made aware of by the vet is that single pups or two pups may be a little over weight, but at the same time they would be getting all the goodness from the mother as everything doesnt have to be shared around a big litter.

As i said in a earlier post, having a single pup feels very rewarding when your goals are achieved.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
scooby2008 said:
Scooby was a single pup and it really has made no difference at all. Understandably when he sees a new dog for the first time he used to get very excited, but dont they all?.
Hope was from a litter of 8, had her sister with her until 17 weeks because she was off to France, lives with four other labs - and still goes barmy if she sees another dog if she is out on her own with us :lol:

I've had no experience myself, but I know quite a few people who've had singletons, and they've not encountered any issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts