Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Im originally from London but now living in Malta. I recently had to put down my 15yr old girl and I've been looking to get another Lab.

Problem is that in Malta the organisation of the Malta KC and CA are described at best as shambolic, there are no registered Lab breeders, and being a small island the gene pool is very small...so I'm not convinced that the lab owners here are as scrupulous as they should be when pairing their animals for mating.

Because of these reasons, and because Im looking to breed in few years. Ive been looking around Europe (primarily in the UK) for a registered KC lab bitch puppy with good eye/hip/elbow tests (and preferably clear DNA test) but because Im not living in the UK any longer many breeders are reluctant to sell to me (which I TOTALLY understand). Another problem I have is going on waiting lists or making a deposit, especially without meeting either owner or mum, let alone the puppy (pictures tell you so little about a dogs temperament or upbringing).

As I am looking to breed in the future, it is SO important for the future of Labs in Malta that I find the right bitch with the right pedigree...

...can anyone give me any help or pointers???

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Hi and welcome to LF - sorry to hear of your recent loss.

A lot of breeders won't / don't export - but there are many who will and do.

I know Labler focussed on the working side of things - if you are interested in show Labs, give me a shout - [email protected] - I can pass on a few people it might be useful to talk to.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
I got my gorgeous Lunatic from Countryways gundogs (has website) and took her straight out to Belgium. Circumstances were a little different as it was only a temporary year out there before returning. The breeder was very much an assess the individual situation kind of person. I was able to visit before committing to a pup.

It could be worth visiting the UK to meet and greet lots of breeders to find one who will be willing to help you get the right pup for your situation.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your ol'lab. She lived to a very good age.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
You also emailed me and just twigged you are the same lady that did so... have replied at length to you this morning by email.

Di (Stevens)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts