Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murphy whose 4 months is always picking and chewing on sticks and stones whilst in garden or walks, even pulling out plants. We try and encourage him away with tasty tit bits this however has not always worked and I can be stopping every few minutes putting hand in mouth saying leave. Does anyone have any training tips as after hearing horror stories on this site about deaths caused by stones etc this is causing major anxiety

Thanks Penny

·
Registered
364 Posts
It is a worry when our dogs get something they shouldnt in their mouths. I'm forever trying to prise Harvey's jaws apart to retrieve some foreign object, yesterday it was a long dead fish he found on the beach, I got most of it but the rest disappeared down his throat! :roll:

However I think its important to keep our concern in perspective, dogs have been foraging about with sticks and stones for thousands of years, the vast majority suffering no ill effects

Also we have to bear in mind that Labs are hard wired to pick things up, to try to train that out of them would not be easy

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi

Maddie is constantly doing this also, we find waving a toy at her will make her drop the object. She will then sometimes begin to play with the toy rather than the stone etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with the hard wired comment above.

Our bitch treacle loves chalk! She will go to great lengths to find the biggest heaviest lump of chalk she can when walking on the beach. Then she chews it into a suitable shape and carries it along as we walk.

We have managed to get her out of picking up fallen tree branches - yes branches not sticks- with a firm "leave" but she seem hopelesly addicted to calcium!!

Neither toys nor treats will dissuade her.

Anybody else got a lab with an appetite for chalk?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts