Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have cut the grass and it's warm enough for some of it to have dried.
Baymax is always with his nose pegged to the ground scenting.
He started sneezing, scrolling his head and blinking with tears.
No way he could get rid of it.
Had to bring him to the vet clinic.
Left him 2 hours ago and no news.
I am quite anxious and worried he'll suffer and get scared.
Time does not seem to flow at all.

Foxtail -> https://www.migratoria.it/wp-content/uploads//2016/05/forasacchi-600x308.jpg

·
Administrator
21,138 Posts
Those grass seeds are terrible, once they go in the sides wont allow them to come out! Fingers crossed for the poor little fella!

·
Premium Member
8,931 Posts
Poor little guy, I hope you get some news soon. These puppies cause more stress than kids, I swear.

Reactions: rjalex

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you my friends.
Here's what they extracted from his nose:

(not the plastic vial of course but its content) :)
Pupper back home with less hair on his leg and abdomen (as he had ingested a sizable chunk of fabric we also gave him an ecograph and an x-ray).
He's groggy now (from the total anesthesia) but I guess with a good night's sleep he'll be is usual self tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,931 Posts
If he’s had a full GA don’t be surprised if he’s a bit whiney or cries as if in pain.

Poor love, better out than in.

Reactions: Mrs H.A and rjalex

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
So pleased he's ok. These dogs do like to worry us!

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your warm support.

This morning the dog ownser's tribe :) I meet almost every morning shared their similar stories of their dogs repeatedly getting the foxtails in almost any bodily part.
A Golden Retriever got it in her ear FOUR times :(

Living in a warm/dry country I guess this will be a major risk especially in a couple of months, say May-September :( @Maddie as you live in a similar climate, any advice?
One of the owners said he will bring the dog with a mesh muzzle to prevent this :(

Unrelated, just as a curiosity, how long will it take for the fur to grow back on his leg (where the needle was placed) and his abdomen flank (because of the gastrointestinal ecography) ?

·
Administrator
21,138 Posts
Unrelated, just as a curiosity, how long will it take for the fur to grow back on his leg
Being warmer where you are than here I would imagine his moult will be further along than dogs here. But even then I'd guess the new fur is still growing, so I'd guess that you will be seeing bristly growth within a couple of weeks

·
Premium Member
8,931 Posts
Must admit, I’ve never experienced having a dog with grass seeds anywhere, ever. Probably odd considering I’ve always been a multi dog household. 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Being warmer where you are than here I would imagine his moult will be further along than dogs here. But even then I'd guess the new fur is still growing, so I'd guess that you will be seeing bristly growth within a couple of weeks
I'm not sure as to the manifestation of a moult but until now Baymax has not shed any visible amount of hair.

Must admit, I’ve never experienced having a dog with grass seeds anywhere, ever. Probably odd considering I’ve always been a multi dog household. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Good point. I had other 6 dogs previsouly in my life, all around central Italy and none of them catched this damn foxtail. In Baymax case I am pretty sure it's his habit of walking while constantly sniffing the ground (I am pretty sure he's always hoping to stumble on some food fragments)). My other dawgs had other quirks but not this obsession with finding food ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts