1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Long post warning

Hi

I hope you forum people can help.
My Labrador is 2 years old, I also have a 6 year old patterdale, both get on well and love each other.
From a pup we noticed our lab made a grimace on one side of her face showing her teeth. This happened if she was excited or unhappy, any strong emotion and we accepted it as a quirky part of her personality.
She never growled or showed any aggression while doing it.
Over the last 2 years she has shown more and more anxiety.
She won’t go outside to go to toilet if it’s dark and will vomit if I try kindly to persuade her.
If someone comes into the house she knows she is fine. But if someone comes in she doesn’t know she will show that grimace (again no growling or aggression) but will shake all over and be frozen to the spot.
On walks she’s fine always follows the my patterdales lead. She used to be fine and friendly with other dogs but lately she snapped and gone for them.
She has a comfy big bed but will squeeze herself in the corner of the room when we are out or overnight
We haven’t had any significant changes etc.
Any advice to help or anyone who’s gone through this would be amazing.
She’s a lovely, loving, bouncy clever girl and it’s horrible to see her like this.

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Sorry, not a clue about these sort of issues, although I've had a few rescue dogs, some of which have had problems with trust, they've all come round with time so the opposite of your situation really in that they all got better. But I didn't want to just read and run without saying welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I'm no expert on this subject either, but I think the first step would be to talk with your vet who can check for any underlying medical causes. Perhaps bloodwork to check thyroid function?
I do have an anxious dog, but his anxiety is very specific to thunder storms, so sorry I'm not much help.

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
I really think this is something which need professional advice and cant be answered without seeing her.

For my part I would not push her into anything she does not want to do. For going out to toilet in the dark, go with her and take a lantern so she can see you. LED lanterns are cheap and with rechargeable batteries cheap to run. Something like this which not only illuminates the ground but also you carrying it. Hand Lamp Torch Rechargeable Power Bank LED Lantern Tent Light Outdoor Camping | eBay

Corners are reassuring, if she wants to sleep in a corner, fine, put her bed in the corner. If she does not want to meet strangers OK, allow her to go into another room out of the way.

Something which strikes me, and I may well be barking up the wrong tree, but I wonder about her eyesight? She is VERY young to be suffering from PRA, but it's just possible. But there are other less well know eye problems. But when you think about it, eye sight gradually deteriorating would account for things gradually getting worse, and of course, the darker it gets the harder for her to see around her. Certainly it's worth talking to your vet, though of course this is not the ideal time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts