Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone used antler chews with their dogs. I’ve tried various chewing toys with Bailey but they get destroyed within days if not hours. This includes Kongs, nylabones and various types of rope toys. The good thing is he hasn’t destroyed any furniture, shoes etc but I’ve never tried these antler chews and saw them recommended on another Labrador site. I trust the views on here however and wonder if they’re ok for a 9 month old puppy.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I used to use them and thankfully didn't have an issue, but since hearing of a few cases of chipped teeth I don't bother with them.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I tried them with my two. They did enjoy chewing them, and they did last a long time but, like Tarimoor I was put off by the stories of cracked and chipped teeth so I haven't replaced them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use them, but only the softer fallow dear antlers, they are the flatter looking ones. They last a month or so if given for an hour or so a day when the zoomies are due, it seems to keep her busy and no chipped teeth yet.

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
The dogs with chipped teeth in my household are the non chewers 🙄🙄 i do buy antlers but they are the type that are sawn In half lengthways with the softer exterior is exposed.

Reactions: BobMonument

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dogs with chipped teeth in my household are the non chewers 🙄🙄 i do buy antlers but they are the type that are sawn In half lengthways with the softer exterior is exposed.
Thanks Maddie, I’ve gone for the fallow dear ones which are not supposed to be as hard. I’ll update how I get on with them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Maddie, I’ve gone for the fallow dear ones which are not supposed to be as hard. I’ll update how I get on with them.
Just an update. I’ve been using the fallow deer chews for about 3 weeks on the pup ( my older dog isn’t interested). I allow him to have one for about an hour when he’s getting restless and it appears to work. I check on his teeth regularly anyway and so far no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts