Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neutered 6 year old chocolate lab has a real bad habit of mounting other dogs, he doesnt even greet them, he is straight on male or female. He is a big strong dog and this doesn't go down very well with other dogs/owners I have a job holding him back.
Other than this he is a lovely dog no malice, pretty well behaved and disciplined. This has got worse oyer the last year or so.He has an under active thyroid and is on permanent medication I asked the vet if this could be causing the problem she re tested him and his medication needed upping so its not this. He was castrated at about a year old. Any suggestions would be appreciated Thankyou.

·
Registered
286 Posts
IMHO, This is not really sexual behavior as it is dominance behavior. My yellow Lab Jack is six or seven and was neutered three years ago and will still try to mount other dogs. A bit of a bother, but I have worked with him on it and he does not do it as much. Consistancy and praise for showing restaint helps.

I am in the midst of packing up, selling and moving and am a bit muddle minded at the moment. I believe the topic has been discussed here before somewhere but won't take the time right now to look in fear Wife will yell at me again for being on the puter instread of packing.

Try Googling on canine mounting, canine dominance, and canine humping.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.