Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good/effective anti-bark collar? Not for Wispa, but for my other naughty spaniel who is a nuisance barker. :roll: There are so many on the market to choice from, and knowing which ones actually work.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I had to help a Labrador get over his fear of a collar after his owner had used a citronella spray bark collar on him.
Everytime he barked, he was sprayed, but the scent stayed on him, so he was being constantly punished for nothing.
They must work for many dogs, but, for this one it was a dire result.
sherry

G

·
I don't use one but I know a couple of people who have done in the past (don't know which brands though). One was on a young Springer who barked constantly. The collar worked initially but she found he had to wear it ALL the time, because as soon as it was removed he carried on barking. He also use to "test" it to see if the batteries had run out and if they had he would then bark the same as before (clever dog). The other persons dogs just totally ignored the squirt of Citronella after the first couple of days, so the collar was a waste of money.

I would be wary of using one if you have to crate the dog at all (don't know if you crate your Spaniel) because dogs have been known to strangle themselves when they have got themselves hooked up. And I would also be aware that some of these collars go off if another dog barks in the vicinity, so the quiet dog gets a blast for no reason.

I am not totally against their use but I would only use one as a last resort.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I don't crate my spaniel, but when we go to my sisters the dogs go out in a pen during the daytime with her springer spaniel - only my two are not used to it, they are not outdoor dogs, they like their home comforts! :lol: Wispa never barks and is such an easy going pup, she'll have abit of a whine which is fine, but my spaniel will constantly bark no matter how much you tell him to be quiet. My sister's husband gets quite annoyed with him, and puts me in a really arkward position. I have nowhere I can leave him, no-one else will have him as he's such a barky dog (I don't think he's that bad, but then I am biast!), apart from the kennels, which I don't really like doing - so would like to give it a go.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I've never used one, but if you're sure you want to try one, could you use just the air spray rather than putting the citronella in it? Especially if your dog will be near by other dogs who may get the horrid smell when they're not even barking.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Sorry I haven't used these so can't recommend a specific make.
In any case Basil used to love sniffing and even nibbling citronella plants so i doubt they'd be effective for him :roll:

What about a big juicy bone to keep him occupied for the day, a little project to keep his mind busy and his tummy full? :)

Or maybe some earplugs for your BIL? :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have never used the collars but we have got an antibark device, will look out the box later for the brand if you want.
Its a small box thing, runs on batteries and makes a high pitched sound (that only they can hear) when the dog barks.

It worked wonders with Ozzy, we did use it initally with Marley but he has never barked so it never gets put on now.

Think it was about £60 from PAH

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LyndzNSteve said:
I have never used the collars but we have got an antibark device, will look out the box later for the brand if you want.
Its a small box thing, runs on batteries and makes a high pitched sound (that only they can hear) when the dog barks.

It worked wonders with Ozzy, we did use it initally with Marley but he has never barked so it never gets put on now.

Think it was about £60 from PAH
Yes please, willing to try anything that works - though he is quite strong willed the little bugger, so don't really want to spend £££ on something that probably won't work, I would prefer something tried and tested if that makes sense?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Some places hire collars - maybe you could try that? There are some good points made about citronella collars on another post in behaviour (I think) headed Alarm Clock by Jasper's Mum. http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopic-64583-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Citronella collars are contravertial for all the reasons given in the post I mention, but, personally, I think they have a place BUT YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL IN THEIR USE. Firstly put the collar on with no battery and no scent. Let the dog wear it all the time it is safe for him to do so and get used to the feel of the box. Then put the battery and citronella in. I won't repeat the details already given in the other post, but a few points to consider - make sure the dog won't get caught up, make sure there is no other dog nearby likely to get squirted inadvertantly, and watch the dog's reaction when the collar goes off. If in doubt, don't use it. You can also get plain air spray collars rather than citronella, and mustard sprays. (Same collar, just change what you put in the box)

We have used the anti bark spray collar on Sam in the past but the trouble was because he often has Moss with him and /or it isn't safe to leave the collar on we couldn't always use it. It defeated the object of remote training, so Sam doesn't bark when wearing the collar but will bark if he hasn't got it on. I also used a remote control spray collar for distance control which was very effective (Fife used to "bitch" on return from a retrieve - I used the collar twice and he had never done it since, 8 years later!). But you must know your dog, and you could easily upset a sensitive dog.

For the record, I totally abhor electric collars and am completely against their use in any situation whatsoever.

Katy

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
The more I think about this, the more I wonder WHY he is barking? Perhaps before you rush into collars try and go down that route and establish a reason (you may , of course, already have done this, in which case I apologise!). Sometimes, if one can work out the cause, the cure is so much easier to find!

The best of luck!

Katy

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
We tried one on Crumpet as her most favourite thing after eating is barking :roll:

Ours sent out a loud high pitched beep whenever she barked either in audiable format or ultrasonic so only she could hear it (alledgedly).

All I can say is it worked for a few days but then she just started to ignore it so we're back to square one.

My advice? I wouldn't waste your money but try and find an alternative method.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I used one on Tarka when at wits end with his barking, one spray and he only barks occasionally now. So it deffo worked for us.

But met someone the other day who used a remote collar on her dog and it burnt it's neck. It was the radio waves from the device that did it, so if you get one with a remote, take care!

Got mine from doggie solutions, the Abitstop one.

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/aboistop-compact-dog-anti-bark-collar-279-0.html

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Shadow barks occasionally when there's someone at the door. It's almost as if he wants to play with them. We find that a plant spray stops him but you do have to be there to spray him :?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I found a drinks bottle with water in worked on Rolo, he used to bark alot and i had a remote controlled collar which was about £80!

I worked for a week then he used to bark to make me set if off as it became a game to him.

NOw when he barks he gets splashed with a stern NO.

Make sure its a splash though so he can see its not a game.

Best of luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts